Chapter 5

Peter, Ned, and I were talking about Star Wars at lunch when MJ sauntered over to us and slapped her hand down on the table.

"Guess who got us all tickets to the amusement park for the twenty-four-hour opening," MJ said triumphantly.

I looked up at her. You could practically see the smugness radiating off of her in waves. I glanced at Peter to see that his eyes were open wide. Child-like excitement filled his eyes.

"No way," Ned breathed.

"Yes, way," MJ said. "I hope you're all free on Friday."

We all began to talk about the amusement park. When I mentioned that I had never been to one before, Ned dramatically clutched his heart. We all laughed at his dramatics.

Friday came around quickly. I went to MJ's house after school. Her parents were driving us there and Peter's aunt was driving him and Ned. I wore a pair of high-waisted shorts and a nice f/c top. After being around colours for four weeks, I had decided that I liked f/c the most.

"Are you ready to go?" MJ asked.

I nodded and we got into her car. Her parents drove us all the way to the amusement park. After informing us that they'd pick us up at 1am, they left.

"Let's go find these nerds," MJ said once her parents drove away.

We quickly found the boys. They were standing out the front of the park. We got into the park and got a map.

"Okay, losers. We have seven hours here, so where are we going first?" MJ asked.

"I say food," Peter said as his stomach rumbled.

That boy ate like he could never get full. I knew that it was because of his increased metabolism, but to his friends he could just seem like a normal teenager.

MJ nodded and pulled out the map.

"Okay, food first. Then where?"

The three began discussing where to go next. I wasn't quite sure where I wanted to go. Besides, I was busy looking around for possible assailants.

"What about you, y/n?" Peter asked me. "Where do you want to go?"

I quickly looked at the map.

"There," I said, pointing to the biggest rollercoaster there was.

"I'm down," MJ said, shrugging.

"Yeah, me too," Peter said.

We all agreed to go on the ride after the food. When we got to the food section, I couldn't believe my eyes. There were so many different types of foods. There were burgers, hotdogs, hot chips, churros, sandwiches, wraps, kebabs and so many more options.

"What do you guys want?" I asked.

"I'm craving a burger," MJ said.

"I want a hotdog," Ned said excitedly.

"I'm not sure yet," Peter said, looking around.

"How about Peter and I grab a table while you two order, and then we'll order," I said.

MJ winked at me suggestively while Ned just agreed. After we grabbed a table, the other two went to get their food.

"So, how are you liking America?" Peter asked.

"Well, it's nice, I guess," I said. "There are some really weird people, though. They like Star Wars and science and they're such nerds."

When Peter realised I was making fun of him, he pouted. I laughed at his childishness.

"But really, it's nice. It's weird having superheros, though," I said, watching Peter's reaction.

He stiffened only slightly.

"Yeah, they're cool," Peter said. "Do you have a favourite?"

"The Black Widow," I replied, almost instantly.

I liked her because she was like me. Trained to be an assassin from a young age and able to kill ten men in less than a minute.

"What do you think about Spiderman?" Peter asked.

I though about it for a moment. Why did he want to know what I thought about his superhero identity? Was it for reassurance? Was he just being cocky?

"I think he's cool," I said. "He actually saved me."

"Really?" Peter asked. "When?"

For a boy with anxiety, he was really good at lying.

"After I left your house, someone decided to try to mug me, but Spiderman saved me," I said, shrugging.

"What?" Peter exclaimed. "You nearly got mugged? You could have died!"

I bit back my retort. I could have handled the guy without Spiderman – without Peter's help.

"Well, luckily for me, I didn't," I said.

Before Peter could say anything else, MJ and Ned arrived at the table.

"Okay, your turn to order," MJ said.

Peter and I got up and walked towards the food stalls.

"What are you going to get?" Peter asked.

"I was thinking f/f," I said,

After I'd tried f/f with Cassandra, I knew that it was the best food ever.

"I think I'll get a burger," Peter said.

We got our food and then sat at the table with Ned and MJ. We ate our food quickly, wanting to get on the rides as soon as possible. We lined up for the ride and excitedly talked until it was our turn.

I sat down in the cart and Peter sat next to me. MJ and Ned sat behind us. Once everyone had been locked in, the ride jerked to a start. We slowly began to rise up a hill.

I was used to heights, and I assumed that Peter was too, seeing as we swung from building to building almost every day. When we reached the top, we were in the air for a few moments before we plummeted downward. An excited scream left my mouth. We twisted and turned and plunged up and down hills.

When the ride was over, we all got off with adrenaline still pumping through our veins.

"That was awesome!" Ned exclaimed.

We all excitedly explained our favourite parts.

"Okay, where to next?" I asked.

MJ pulled out the map. MJ and Ned wanted to go to the dodgem cars, but Peter wanted to go to another rollercoaster.

"Where do you want to go, y/n?" MJ asked me.

"I want to go to the rollercoaster," I said.

We continued arguing for a few more minutes until I came up with an idea.

"What if we split up?" I suggested. "You two can go to the dodgem cars while Peter and I go on the rollercoaster, and we can meet up after."

Thankfully, everyone agreed. Getting Peter alone and getting closer to him was crucial to the mission. Peter and I walked to the rollercoaster. We talked while we waited in line and screamed when the rollercoaster plummeted.

When we got off, we were laughing. When we had finally calmed down, we began walking back to meet up with Ned and MJ.

"Oh my god, y/n!" Peter exclaimed. "Look!"

I looked in the direction he was pointing and saw a Star Wars ride.

"We have to go on it!" I said.

Peter grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the ride. When he grabbed my hand, I had a weird feeling in my stomach. It felt light but it also made me feel like I was going to throw up. I had never felt like this before. Was I sick?

Then it hit me. It was butterflies. No, it couldn't be. Peter Parker was just a pawn in the mission, and nothing more.

I didn't enjoy the rest of the night. I was too busy thinking about how I felt towards Peter. By the end of the night, I had convinced myself that I was just surprised.