Chapter 6

I banged my head against the table. Hydra hadn't prepared me for schoolwork. Sure, I was more intelligent than the average person, but I still hated math. I was good at it, but that didn't mean I liked it.

"What's wrong?" Peter asked.

"This stupid math worksheet," I said, pushing it towards him. "I don't get it! I'm going to fail the test!"

Peter looked over the sheet.

"I can help you study, if you'd like," Peter said.

"Yeah, it could be a study date," MJ sniggered.

I glanced up to see Peter glare at her.

"That would be great, thanks Peter," I said, relieved.

"We can do it tonight," Peter said. "You can come to mine."

I agreed and texted Cassandra, letting her know where I would be.

When school finally ended, I shoved my books and the unholy math worksheet into my bag. Peter walked up to my locker. I looked up at him once I'd closed my locker. His hair was a bit messy, and it made him look cute.

Wait, what?

"Are you ready to go?" Peter asked, interrupting my thoughts.

"Yeah," I said, mentally shaking myself.

We talked as we made our way to Peter's house. We made a quick stop at Mr Delmar's, where Mr Delmar made a few comments to Peter in Spanish which he blushed at.

We ate our sandwiches on the rest of the way to Peter's apartment. When we arrived, Peter unlocked the door.

"Hey Pete!" a feminine voice said from the kitchen.

"Hey, May! I brought a friend over, I hope that's okay," Peter called out.

A woman walked into our view. She had brown hair and was extremely beautiful.

"May, this is y/n. Y/n, this is my Aunt May," Peter introduced.

"It's nice to meet you," I said politely.

"Oh, y/n, Peter's told me so much about you!" May exclaimed.

"May!" Peter whisper yelled.

"Oh, right. Well, I'll let you two go do your thing. Are you staying for dinner, y/n?" May asked.

"If that's alright," I said.

"Of course, it is!" May said, beaming at me.

Peter dragged me to his room and closed the door.

"I'm sorry about that," Peter said.

I giggled.

"It's fine. Your Aunt is really nice," I said.

Peter smiled weakly. We got started on studying. I pulled my books out of my bag and Peter helped me through the questions. He was a really good teacher, and within an hour I was ready for the test.

"That was quick," I joked.

Peter chuckled.

"Yeah, it was," Peter agreed.

I was about to say something before my phone rang.

"Hold on, this is my sister," I told Peter, before answering the phone.

"Hey, Cassandra," I greeted.

"Y/n, how's it going?" Cassandra asked.

"It's going well, Peter and I have finished studying and now we're just hanging out," I said, subtly implying that he was in the room with me and could probably hear her with his super senses.

"Okay, well you still have to do your chores when you get home, and you got mail," Cassandra said.

Chores was code for training, and mail meant I had a message from Hydra.

I said my goodbyes to my sister and hung up. Peter and I began talking, and I could tell there was something he wanted to ask me, but I wasn't sure what. Eventually, though, he plucked up the courage.

"Y/n, can I ask you something? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I get it, I mean-"

I cut Peter off from his rambling.

"What do you want to ask?" I questioned.

"Well... you're always coming to school with bruises, and you always call your sister and never your parents," he said quietly.

How could I lie myself out of this situation? He probably thought that my parents abused me. I had completely forgotten that normal people didn't just randomly get bruises. I couldn't just not train, though. I came up with the most plausible excuse I could muster.

"My parents are dead," I said quietly. "And I do boxing. That's where the bruises come from."

Peter's face became sympathetic.

"I am so sorry, y/n. I didn't mean to upset you, or to pry," he said.

"It's alright. Besides, you said that I didn't have to answer," I said shrugging.

Peter was silent for a moment before he let out a breath.

"My parents are dead too," he said.

I already knew that, of course, but the way Peter said it made me so sad. I reached over and gave him a hug. He hugged me back, and we sat there like that for a long time.