Chapter 13

It had been three months since Peter and I got together. I was currently sitting on his couch with him watching a new comedy that had come out. My phone rang and I checked the caller ID.

"I have to take this," I said to Peter.

I disentangled myself from him and accepted the call.

"Hey, Cassandra," I said, walking towards the kitchen.

"Hydra is planning an attack. We're hoping that it will lead to Peter revealing that he's Spiderman," Cassandra said.

I gulped. People were probably going to die, but for this mission, for Cassandra, I had to deal with it. Even if I didn't want to. Even if I wished that I was a superhero, and could fight against them to save others.

"Okay," I said. "Anything else?"

"Just stay safe. Stay in the apartment. I don't want you getting caught up in this," Cassandra said.

I agreed to do what she said and disconnected the call. I walked back to Peter.

"Sorry, Cassandra just need to know when I was coming back," I lied.

Before I could say anything else, Peter's phone buzzed with a call. He looked at the caller and his face paled.

"Sorry, n/n, I have to take this," he said.

He jumped up off the couch and took my place in the kitchen. When he came back his face was grave.

"Um, y/n, Mr Stark needs me at the tower," he said.

"That's fine," I said. "How long will you be?"

"Uh... I'm not entirely sure. You can stay here or go home if you want," Peter said nervously.

"I can stay here," I said. "If it gets too late, I'll head home."

Peter nodded. He gave me a kiss before taking his backpack from his room and leaving. I stood in the empty apartment. Now would be a good time to snoop around.

I headed to Peter's bedroom. I searched around for a bit but found nothing interesting. I went back to the living room and turned on the news.

"...Avengers and Spiderman are taking care of the attack," the reporter said.

The screen cut to a clip from a helicopter. There was an army of Hydra agents shooting at everything. The Avengers fought against them tirelessly, and I saw Spiderman too. My chest twisted when I saw him on the screen. What if they hurt him?

The battle lasted for an hour. It was the longest hour of my life. I had to turn the tv on mute, terrified that I would hear Peter's scream. After the battle was complete, I waited for Peter to come home. A loud crash from Peter's room made me jump. I grabbed a frying pan from the kitchen and inched my way towards Peter's room. I heard a groan, and I opened the door.

Peter lay on the floor with his suit on but the mask off. Blood was pouring from a cut on his face.

"Peter?" I exclaimed, running to him.

Peter just groaned in response. I ran to the bathroom and got a first-aid kit out from under the sink. I then patched Peter up. When he was feeling better, I sat him up. We were silent for a few minutes.

"So," I began. "You're Spiderman."

Peter nodded guiltily. I sighed.

"You need to be more careful," I said.

Peter looked at me, surprised.

"You're not mad I didn't tell you?" he asked.

"I'm not mad," I said truthfully. "Just... disappointed that you didn't trust me."

Peter reached out and grabbed my hand.

"I do trust you. I wanted to tell you. Every day. But I couldn't. It was to keep you safe," he said.

I sighed deeply. So, he had wanted to tell me his secret, and he did trust me.

"I understand," I said. "Who else knows?"

"Just Ned, MJ, and May. And the Avengers," he replied.

I nodded again.

"You're truly not mad?" Peter asked.

"Of course not! You save lives, Peter! If anything, I'm proud," I said.

Peter smiled warmly at me.

"Thank you. For understanding," he said.

I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him tight.

"Anytime," I said.