Chapter 17

Hydra kept both the Winter Soldier and Peter in the same prison space. Their cells were right next to each other. It had taken me a week to gain permission for entry.

Peter was bruised and bloody when I saw him. Had they been torturing him? The thought made my power flare. Peter looked up at the sudden flash of light. When he saw me, he glared.

"Come to gloat?" he asked angrily.

The words caught in my throat. What was I supposed to say?

"I can't believe you tricked me," he continued. "I thought you loved me."

"I did. I do," I said desperately.

"People who love each other don't do this," Peter said.

I looked at him sadly. Now was the time to do it. I shot a blot of electricity at the cameras and put them on a loop. I placed my hand on the keypad and let my power flow. I unlocked the door and stepped aside to unlock the Winter Soldier's door. He was unconscious. That was going to be difficult.

"What are you doing?" Peter asked.

"I'm helping you escape," I said. "Can you help me lift him?"

Peter just stood there while I opened the door.

"Why are you doing this?" he asked, suspicious.

"Because I love you. And Hydra... Hydra lied to me," I said.

I slung the Winter Soldier's arm around my neck. Peter got the other arm, and together we lifted him off the ground. I saw Peter look at me a few times out of the corner of my eye, but I ignored it. I zapped all of the cameras down the hall so that we could get away undetected.

"Hold on," I said.

I stood in front of the Winter Soldier and zapped him to life. His eye lids fluttered open.

"What's going on?" he asked.

When he noticed me, he took a defensive position. I raised my hands to show that I wasn't armed.

"I'm with you," I said. "Can you walk?"

The Winter Soldier nodded warily, and we head off. I checked around corners and turned off the cameras. I took them down the halls that no one used anymore in hopes that we wouldn't run into anyone. We were fine for the first half of the journey, but then four Hydra agents found us. I zapped them all unconscious, not wanting to kill them. Eventually we made our way outside.

"This was too easy," I muttered.

An alarm started blaring. I swore colourfully, causing the Winter Soldier to look at me.

"We're running, let's go," I said.

Neither of them could run very fast with their injuries. A squad of Hydra agents swarmed us, but I electrocuted them all.

"Keep going!" I yelled.

We eventually reached an electric fence.

"Okay, I'm going to turn off the electricity, and you two need to run as far as you can." I threw a phone at the Winter Soldier. "That phone has Natasha's number."

Luckily for me, I'd memorised the number weeks ago when she'd given it to me.

"What about you?" Peter asked.

"I have to stay back and keep them off your trail," I said. "Go."

"What will they do to you?" Peter asked.

I looked towards The Winter Soldier. He had already dialled Natasha's number, and he was talking quickly on the phone.

"At best, they'll kill me. At worst... I'll become a Winter Soldier," I said.

"I'm not leaving you," Peter said, grabbing my arm.

"Peter, you have to! I'm not going to let them get you!" I said angrily.

"Y/n, if you stay, you'll die! Or worse!" he exclaimed.

"A few minutes ago, you hated my guts!" I said. "Just leave me!"

"I still love you, y/n! I'm not leaving!" he yelled.

Tears filled my eyes. I grabbed his face and pulled it down to mine. I kissed him hungrily, knowing that this was the last time I would do so.

"I love you, Peter," I said, once we'd pulled away. "And I'm sorry."

Before the words registered in his mind, I zapped him unconscious. The Winter Soldier nodded at me and slung Peter over his shoulder.

"Take care of him," I said.

"We'll come back for you," he said.

He wouldn't, though. Wanda hadn't. Besides, I was a lost cause. There'd be nothing left to come back for.

I took a deep breath and removed the electricity from the fence. The Winter Soldier climbed over and dropped to the other side with Peter still on his back. I watched them go, my heart breaking for the boy I loved.

Agents swarmed me and I struck them all. I fought my way through them, hoping that Hydra would see I was the bigger threat and forget about Peter and the Winter Soldier.

"Stop!"

I turned around to see Cassandra walking towards me.

"What are you doing?" she yelled.

I didn't have time to respond before something heavy hit the side of my head and everything went black.