Chapter 8

I looked at my phone once more before take-off. There were messages from all of my friends, but Peter's stuck out to me the most.

I hope you have fun. I'm going to miss you.

That's all it said. It was basic, it was to the point, but it meant so much. I was really going to miss him.

When we arrived in Russia, we were taken to a Hydra base. After making sure we were the right people, we were taken to a room with the two Hydra commanders who gave us the mission in the first place.

"Agents, we have some things to tell you," Commander Ders said. "First off, we would like to announce that you have been promoted to Commander."

He looked at my sister as he said that. My sister beamed.

"Thank you for this honour," she said.

The commander nodded.

"Second, we need you to do a side mission," Commander Ivanov said.

I glanced at my sister. Side missions were risky. Focusing on two missions was difficult, and you could mess up information.

"Don't worry, it's not a big one," Ders said. "We just need you to break into a building and steal some files. It could be practice."

I felt a bit more relaxed at that. That would be simple.

"Agent l/n, you are dismissed," Ivanov said, nodding to me.

I stood up and saluted.

"Hail Hydra," I said, before leaving the room.

Why would they dismiss me and not Cassandra? Was there something I wasn't supposed to know? Maybe they were just debriefing Cassandra on commander duties or something like that.

I stalked the halls to my chambers. People parted as I walked. I was well-known around here. When I reached my room, I flopped onto my bed. I sighed and hugged my pillow.

I really missed Peter. He had grown on me. No matter how hard I'd tried to close my feelings away from him in an attempt to not get attached, it didn't work. I knew that I had to abort the mission because I was too close, but I couldn't. I couldn't leave Peter. I didn't want to. Besides, it would ruin my reputation.

After a while of thinking, I turned on the tv and played a Star Wars movie. It made me feel closer to Peter. Once the movie had finished, Cassandra was still no where to be seen. I glanced at the clock to see that it was nearly time for dinner. She was probably at the mess hall.

I walked to the mess hall, scuffing my shoes along the floor. When I reached the hall, I glanced around to see my sister at the commanders' table. I couldn't sit there with her.

I grabbed my dinner and sat at the agents' table. I ate in silence, not talking to anyone. When I was finished, I went straight back to my room.

The next week was full of intense training. I missed Peter the whole time, but never told anyone. I trained, I ate, and I slept. There wasn't really anything else to do around here.

I trained with the new agents. Some of them – mostly the men in their prime – underestimated me. They snickered when I entered the room. I decided to challenge them all to hand-to-hand combat.

I won. Against all of them. It wiped the smirks off their faces and made me feel really smug. They all left the training centre after I kicked their butts. When they left, no one wanted to spar with me, so I decided to go on a run.

I remembered about three years ago when the Maximoff twins used to be here. Wanda and Pietro were always nice to me. It made me sad when they left, though. It made me even sadder when Pietro died. I cried for weeks. He would always slip me lollies that he got.

I looked at the worn track in the training room. Most of those footsteps were from Pietro. I stopped running and walked to my room before I could break down.

Hydra wanted me to kill the Avengers when I was older. If given the chance, could I kill Wanda? Could I kill the girl who was always kind to me, and who said she'd come back for me? She never did come back.

I decided to sleep to hide from my thoughts. But nightmares chased me, and I woke up in cold sweat.