Chapter 10

The school hallways were buzzing with excitement. Students were talking loudly to each other and showing their phones. MJ walked up to my locker and leaned against it.

"Yo, did you see the footage of the new villain?" she asked.

I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye.

"No," I said.

"What are you two talking about?"

I looked over to see that Peter and Ned had walked up to us.

"Just the new villain that's been giving Spiderman trouble," MJ said, shrugging.

Peter's face hardened, but Ned lit up in excitement.

"Yeah, they're calling her Silver Current because she has these sick electricity powers," Ned said.

Silver Current, huh? It wasn't all that bad.

"What did she do?" I asked.

"She blew up a building and stole some really confidential stuff apparently," MJ said.

I glanced at Peter. His face was stony.

"Wait, how does everyone know about this?" I asked.

"Well, there were some secret cameras around the building that she didn't disable," Ned said.

Damn. I thought I got them all. Well, Silver Current wouldn't be making much of an appearance in the public for a long time, so it was okay.

"Hey, Penis Parker, are you friends with Silver Current too?"

I turned around to see Flash laughing with his friends. I rubbed Peter's arm comfortingly.

"Just ignore him," I said.

Peter went red and nodded.

"Besides," I continued, "You're friends with the heroes, not the villains. You'd think going to this school would increase his intelligence by just a little bit."

MJ snorted and fist bumped me, while Peter gave me a small smile.

The rest of the day passed by in a blur. School was boring (as per usual) and I was excited to hear that I'd been invited to a party.

"Yeah, Betty told me to invite you and the other losers," MJ said.

I rolled my eyes at her.

"I didn't think you'd be the party kind of girl," I said.

MJ looked at me with a smirk.

"Who said I was going to be there?"

After that strange interaction, I caught the subway home with Peter.

"So, what do you make of this Silver Current?" I asked.

I was genuinely curious about what he thought.

"Well... I suppose she might have been working for someone," Peter said. "Maybe she just didn't know what she was doing."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, offended.

"Well... what if she was working for a company that she didn't know was bad?" he said.

I stopped at that. Hydra wasn't bad. They'd taken me in, raised me, and given me these amazing powers. But... they had used mind control on the Winter Soldier. And Wanda and Pietro had left.

I couldn't afford to think like that. Hydra was my life.

I decided to change the subject before the thoughts overwhelmed me.

Betty's party came around quickly. For a girl who seemed to be the nice, innocent girl, she certainly knew how to throw a party. I had never been to a party before, but I'd seen them in movies and tv shows.

Music was blasting throughout the house and disco lights flared. People were drinking alcohol and snacks were scattered around the house.

I got out of Cassandra's car. Everyone else had already arrived. I wore a short red dress with an open back.

"Remember, stay safe. If you need me, just call. And no alcohol," Cassandra said, before driving off.

I wasn't planning on drinking any alcohol, anyway. It was a way to loosen up someone's tongue, and if I spilled Hydra's secrets, I would be done for.

I walked up the steps of Betty's house. The door was open, so I just entered. There were streamers and balloons everywhere. I heard my name being called and saw Peter, Ned, and MJ in the living room. MJ waved at me then flipped me off, and I returned the gesture.

When I reached them, I saw that Peter was blushing.

"Wow, y/n, you look really pretty," he said.

His face went red. He looked like he had really bad sunburn.

"Thanks, Peter," I laughed. "You look really good, too."

Not a lie. He looked really cute in his flannel and jeans. Peter's blush got deeper.

"Well, now that we're all here, I'm gonna get some toast," MJ said. "Peace out, losers."

Ned looked after her incredulously.

"Why is she always so mean to us?" he asked.

I just laughed. Ned was eventually taken away by Betty.

"Wanna dance?" I asked Peter.

"Y- yeah," he stuttered.

I pulled him to the dance floor. I had never danced before, so I just let my body take over, swaying and twirling. Peter had some sick dance moves too.

Soon enough, like every teenage love story, a slow song came on. I placed my hands around Peter's neck, and he placed his on my waist.

"I- is this alright?" he asked.

I nodded and leaned forward so that my head was resting on his chest. Peter placed his chin on top of my head, and we swayed to the beat. It didn't feel awkward – in fact, it felt natural.

"Y/n, can I tell you something?" Peter asked nervously.

I removed my head from his chest and looked him in the eye.

"Of course," I said. "You can tell me anything."

Peter gulped and took a deep breath.

"Well... I – uh... you see, the thing is..."

Peter cleared his throat.

"Ithinkthatyou'rereallyprettyandIreallylikeyou," he said quickly and in one breath.

"Sorry," I laughed, "I didn't quite hear what you said."

Peter took another deep breath.

"I like you," he said quietly. "As more than just a friend."

I froze. I felt the same way, but I wasn't supposed to.

"It's okay if you don't feel the same, I understand," Peter said sadly.

Of course, I felt the same way. He was funny, cute, nice, and super nerdy. How was I supposed to tell him that?

Before I could overthink it, I kissed him. It was brief, it was sweet, and it was to the point.

"I like you, too," I said.

Peter smiled at me.

"I – um... do you want to go on a date with me?" he asked nervously.

I giggled at his nervousness.

"Of course, I will," I said.