Chapter 7

"The field trip will be to the Avengers tower, formally known as Stark Tower."

Excited voices rippled throughout the class. I, however, did not feel the excitement. The Winter Soldier had regained his memories. That was common knowledge. The downside for me was that he would recognise me. He trained me for three and a half years. And Wanda Maximoff would be there. We had been close while she was with Hydra. Maybe I could get Cassandra to convince the school to let me stay home. Maybe we could pretend I was sick.

I looked over at Peter. He had gone slightly pale and his hands were clenched in fists. His predicament wasn't nearly as bad as mine. Maybe his teammates would embarrass him if he was recognised. But if I was recognised, I would either be imprisoned or killed. The mission would fail, and I would never see my sister again.

Ned glanced at Peter warily. Did Ned know about Peter's secret? Did Ned know that instead of sleeping at night, his best friend roamed the streets, fighting crime?

The bell signalling the end of the day rang. We all grabbed a permission slip from the teacher. I was tempted to rip it up, or throw it in a bin, but I knew Cassandra would want to see it first.

I caught the subway home with Peter. He asked if I wanted to go to Delmar's, but I declined. I was too busy thinking of the field trip, and the possible damage it could do.

When I reached my apartment, I opened the door and walked right up to Cassandra. I didn't say anything, I just held out the piece of paper for her to read. She cautiously took it and read over the words three times. Then she broke into a smile.

"This is perfect!" she exclaimed.

I was taken aback. How was this perfect?

"You can get a good layout of the tower," Cassandra explained. "Maybe even see how the technology works."

She suddenly grabbed my shoulders and looked straight into my eyes.

"I do not want you to attempt to steal the information on the field trip. Yes, we have been here for two months, but I will not let you sacrifice yourself for this cause," she said. "Do you understand?"

I nodded. Cassandra pulled me into a hug. When she let go, we began planning what I would do.

The day of the field trip finally arrived. We were all packed into a bus and then unloaded out the front of the tower. A tour guide who went by the name of Ellie greeted us and led us inside.

Tony Stark certainly had style and money. Lots of it. The inside of the lobby was massive and definitely cost more than an average person made a year. Ellie made sure we all had nametags and then led us through the tower. We were taken to an elevator.

"Welcome back, Peter," a clear voice said.

Most of the class jumped and looked around for the voice.

"Hello, Friday," Peter said.

He scratched the back of his neck nervously.

"Told you the internship wasn't fake," Betty Brant told Flash.

Flash just grumbled quietly. I looked at Peter. There was a mix of happiness and nervousness on his face. We were led to the labs. Peter got quieter the closer we got to the labs. I sensed dread. But for what?

When we entered the lab, the one and only Tony Stark was working on a project. He looked up when he saw our tour group.

"You must be the kids from Midtown," he said.

Everyone nodded or murmured an agreement. I, however, was almost shaking in fear. Here was the man that I was supposed to steal from. I avoided eye contact with him, afraid that he would somehow see the guilt in my eyes.