THIRTEEN

lenora

My eyes are pinched shut as I listen to the wind shift around the pack house and trees. Voices chatter in the near distance. A bird cackles as it circles overhead. Everything seems so peaceful at the moment.

The silence is not a good thing, though. A number of my pack is gone, off to keep the rogue pack from spreading further. And I am here, waiting behind the lines like a coward.

If I could be with them, I would. I can't leave behind my vulnerable without defense. Not when my mate is also unprotected.

A door opens inside the house and footsteps pad down the steps. They continue to the back door, which then opens with a high-pitched whine that makes me flinch out of my thoughts.

"Alpha," says Denver.

"Yes?"

"Our fellow pack from Alabama just called. Alpha Tara wants to speak with you."

Sighing, I stand up from the wicker chair and face him. His face is furrowed with concern.

"It's about the rogues," I assume.

He nods.

"Right." Rubbing my temples, I saunter passed him into the house. "Do you have my cell?"

"It's in your office."

"Thank you, Denver."

I head up to the second floor where my bedroom and office are. The modest, barren walls of my space glint at me as I pass. I've never had a reason to decorate, never had the slightest urge. Imagining my mate seeing my room like this now makes me flush. It isn't exactly an inviting or romantic atmosphere.

My cell is on the aged oak desk. I find Tara's name in my contacts and let it ring. She answers immediately.

"I'm glad you called," she says.

"Hello to you too," I reply with a snort. "Denver mentioned you called about the rogues. Are they getting close?"

"Yes. They'll be arriving within the next two hours, we think. I wanted to let you know."

My body feels tense. I still can't believe this is happening. Fucking rogues.

"My wolves and Shores' are on standby," I tell her. "Your Beta has them on call. Alpha Bronson and his warriors will be arriving in my territory soon. I'm sorry I couldn't send you more help."

"You've done what you can and I appreciate it," Tara says. She sighs shakily. "I'm terrified, Len. I don't know what we'll do if the rogues break through our warriors. Is it pathetic that I've considered calling animal control?"

I smile bitterly. "It's okay to be afraid. Just be strong for your wolves. They need someone to encourage them."

"I know. I need to go."

"Alright. Give them something to bitch about, okay?"

She chuckles. "Always."

My shoulders feel heavy as I hang up.

This stress will consume me if I sit here and think about it.

My wolves are outside training and running perimeter. I've done my daily review of our stocks and investments. The pups are all in school. All of my pack responsibilities are taken care of, at least for now.

All I have left to do is see my mate. She should be working. As much as I don't want to disturb her, I also want to disturb the fuck out of her.

Mind made, I strip out of my running shorts and tank. I pan through my closet, realize I should probably expand my options, and decide on a black t-shirt to match my jeans and leather jacket. Denver is standing at the foot of the steps as I descend them.