SIXTY ONE

lenora

Disgust. That is all I can feel when I look at this pathetic excuse of a human. Anyone who crosses my pack or my mate is worthy of death in my eyes. I literally can't help it, as it's a natural Alpha instinct. Calla pretends to be innocent but I just want to smear her face into a tree. I don't believe for a second that she didn't understand the implications of her deal with Brian. He was begging her to leave with him at that house. She knew her life was endangered and that she'd gotten involved with the wrong people.

Every second that I have to watch her exist in my pack house makes my skin crawl.

A large hand lands on my shoulder. Sighing, I turn to acknowledge Denver. He stands beside me, watching Calla move around the kitchen. She's preparing meat and cheese sandwiches and talking softly to Emery. My little mate makes another move to help her, to open another bag of ham, and I automatically snarl. She continues testing my patience by tossing her eyes and slumping back into the kitchen chair she's been perched on.

Roll those gorgeous eyes one more time, I think, licking my lips.

"You did the right thing," Denver says, blocking all sensual thoughts.

My mouth twists down as I glance at him. "And that is?"

"Sparing her. Killing a human is different than a wolf."

"Ah." Shrugging off his grip, I fold my arms and glare at how close Emery is sitting to Calla. "My conscience has been ruined for a long time now. You don't have to worry about me sleeping at night."

"Of course, Alpha," he says mockingly. "So it's only for Luna's benefit then?"

"Precisely."

His gaze weighs heavily on me for a minute for he says again, "You did do the right thing."

When I go to look at him or maybe scoff, he's gone. I growl under my breath and focus back on the two humans before me. Emery finally stands, grabs two plates, and approaches me. My eyes wander down her thick curves, clad in grey sweatpants and cropped hoodie. The gold knot of her bun makes her like youthful, underlying the severity in her eyes. She looks more mature to me now than she did even just weeks ago. I know this lifestyle is not an easy one for humans and I hate that hers has been exceptionally difficult. My heart suddenly aches for her.

"Picnic?" she asks. She extends one of the plates towards me like a peace offering.

I unfold my arms and accept the plate, glancing warily at Calla before following my mate through the back door. A few wolves are lounging out in the sun, two wrestling and another curled up in a hammock in their human form. If I listen closely, I can hear the steady footfalls of those on patrol.

Emery leads me to a patch of grass splashed in shade from the beaming sun. She crosses her legs and lifts the plate to her lap.

"So," she sighs. "Are we really in the clear now?"

I mimic her pose and take a bite from the sandwich, chewing thoughtfully before swallowing. "In the clear from the rogues?"

She shrugs. "Yeah, I guess. The bad guys. Do we have to still be on lockdown?"

My brows furrow. If she's asking about lockdown, I can guess where this conversation is going.

"Where is it you want to go?" I ask. I know beating around the bush with this girl will get me nowhere and she'll end up doing what she wants regardless of what I say. My stubborn little Luna.

Now she takes a bite of her sandwich, leaning back while she chews. When she swallows, she wipes her mouth and sets the plate down.

"I've been thinking about my parents," she admits.