TWENTY NINE

emery

After I pack up a bag of fresh clothes along with my hairbrush, toothbrush, makeup, straightening iron, curling iron, and deodorant, I take a quick shower and change into clean sweatpants and a sports bra with a loose workout crop top. It shows a patch of my pale belly but it's somehow still flattering. At least I hope it is. Before I work myself up, I shake off my menacing insecurities and carry my things out to Lenora's Jeep. Just as I fire up the engine, a motorcycle comes flying into the parking lot. My heart jumps into my throat when I see a flash of ebony hair.

Within moments, Lenora is at the door of the Jeep with a really, really pissed-off look. She doesn't even have to tell me to open the door. I don't get down from the driver's seat, though.

"What are you doing?" she asks so steely that it makes my blood cold.

I tuck my wet hair behind my ear and try a watery smile. Her stony blue eyes don't waver in the least.

"Don't be mad," I say. "I'm sorry. I—"

"Do you have any idea what a lockdown means?" she snaps.

I flinch back into the car like her words have lunged at me. She terrifies me. As sexy as she is, she's equally daunting.

"No one is allowed to leave pack territory," she tells me. "That's what a fucking lockdown means. So explain to me what you're doing. Right now."

"What do you want me to say?" I mumble, unable to meet her cutting eyes. "I needed fresh clothes. And we're out of food at the pack house. I was going to pick some things up."

"That's not your responsibility!" Lenora all but yells. "I am the Alpha! I understand that you've never been in a pack before. You don't know how to take commands. But you will learn, starting today."

Anger pulses through me and gives me enough courage to meet her eyes as tears gather in mine. There are few things I hate more than getting yelled at. I have always been a good and obedient daughter, student, and employee. I do my best so that I can't be scolded for doing poorly. Ridicule only makes me angry.

"I didn't ask to be in your pack," I say with a shockingly firm voice. "You dragged me to your pack house. And now you're telling me I can't leave to get clothes and food? This—this is bullshit."

The fair skin of her face shades crimson. "You are my mate, Emery. It's funny you think you get a choice."

I don't know what to say to her. I just want to cry but I refuse to give her that satisfaction.

"Get out," she orders. "Right now."

"No."

Her hands are unfastening the seatbelt and hauling me out before I can blink. She sets my feet on the ground but pins me against the car. Her face lowers so our eyes are level. I try to resist, but she's so damn strong.

"Everything I do," she says, "is for you. Is for the pack. Stop trying to make me the bad guy."

"Let go of me," I say.

Snarling, she relents and I'm left to sag against the door. "Get in the passenger. We're going back."

I glance up at my apartment and briefly consider making a run for it. She would catch me. She has longer legs and she's a fucking werewolf. But I'm so over this and the way she's treating me that I almost do it.

"Don't even," she warns. "Your punishment is bad enough already."

Punishment? I scoff. Who does she think she is?