SIXTY NINE

lenora

The soft chatter of voices draws my focus away from the financial documents on my desk. I hone my hearing in on the voice I want to hear.

"Shit, she's back?" Emery asks, sounding panicked. "How the hell did she beat us home?"

Good. She should feel fucking panicked.

The only reason I didn't freak the fuck out when I came home and discovered my mate left the pack house without my knowledge was because I was informed that my Beta was with her.

That probably shouldn't comfort me, though, knowing that the last time they left together, I had to snap my ex's neck and dismember a vampire.

If I didn't know those fuckers were dead, I would have burned the pack house down in a fit of rage.

I lean back in my chair and steeple my fingers together, continuing to eavesdrop.

"Yeah, she's been back for a few minutes," Calla tells her. "She said she wanted to see you in her office the second you came back."

"Her office?" Emery asks. "How did I not know she has an office? Oh god. She's gonna paddle me."

I have to admit, I smirk at the thought. Not a bad idea.

"If you're lucky," Calla says, chuckling. "Seems you're not in the know these days, Luna."

She may only be teasing my mate, but I make no effort to conceal a growl at Calla's mocking words.

I swear to fuck, every day that human is in this house is a temptation for the bloodthirsty animal pacing inside me. If not for Emery, Calla would already have been left in the woods as food for local predators.

"Yeah, yeah, and you'd know all about that, wouldn't you?" Emery says. "Just show me where to go, please."

"As you wish."

"Don't say that. It sounds creepy."

"What am I supposed to say? 'Yes, Mistress'?"

Yanking open my office door, I snarl down at the two humans standing in the hallway outside my door.

Calla pales and even my little mate's eyes go wide. She knows her ass is mine.

"You call her 'Luna' and anything else is considered disrespectful," I snap at Calla. "Do you know what the punishment for disrespect is in this pack?"

The girl sulked, glaring petulantly at the ground. I can sense the rebellious fire dancing in her soul and the seed of hate taking root in her heart.

She can hate me all she wants but it will never change what she did. No one puts my mate at risk without suffering the consequences. And this bitch did it for money.

My hands ache with violent cravings. I flash her a clearly plastic smile.

"I didn't think so," I say. "Now, that'll be all. Emery, come."

The two exchange a glance, Emery's apologetic, and they split ways.

My eyes follow my mate as she ducks under my arm to enter the room. I take a deep breath and shut the door.

Emery looks around at the bookshelves and file cabinets that clutter the space. I know it's a mess, but it's an organized mess. Everything has its place.

"How do you get anything done in here?" she asks. One of her small hands gestures to the papers scattered across my desk.

I shake my head and grab her shoulder gently, using it to guide her to the chair across from the desk. She settles into it with a sigh.