SIXTY FIVE

emery

My pulse flutters with panic as I realize my sister is outside the bathroom door. I glance at Lenora, but she just rolls her eyes. I wish I could be so nonchalant about all of this.

Taking a deep breath, I open the door. Bella stands there with her arms folded across her chest.

"Can I help you?" I ask, mirroring her posture.

Bella glances over me at Lenora and then drops her gaze back to mine. "Can we talk? Alone."

"Yeah, I guess." I turn to let Lenora out of the bathroom. "We'll be down in second."

She nods, glaring a bit at my sister before she slips out of the room. Bella closes the door after her. If only she knew it wouldn't do any good. A door isn't going to stop my werewolf girlfriend from eavesdropping.

"Why are you lying to Mom and Dad?" she asks.

"What're you talking about?" I ask, my voice high and squeaky.

"Come on, Em." She scoffs. "I'm not stupid. You two are together."

My cheeks burn. Fuck. Is it so obvious?

"It's not even a big deal," she goes on. "I just don't get why you're lying and being so dodgy. You weren't in a car accident. So what really happened? Why have you been AWOL?"

"I'm not lying," I insist.

"Emery, you're a terrible liar. I'm your sister. Come on. Just tell me."

I turn away from her and drag my hand through my hair. Lenora is going to kill me if I say anything. I'm sworn to secrecy. I'd violate pack code if I confessed to her.

"It's confidential," I say finally, turning back to her.

"For who? The secret service? FBI? CIA? What is she—-an alien?"

Sighing, I shrug. "For all intents and purposes, yeah, I guess."

"She's really an alien," Bella deadpans.

"No, not technically." I roll my eyes now. "Look, it's not my business to tell. You figured out that Lenora's my girlfriend. Consider that a success. I'm not some damn treasure chest for you to break into."

"I just want to make sure you're safe! Stop being so damn difficult."

"You're being difficult!" I snap back. "I am healthy and safe and happy. Okay? Just drop it."

Bella eyes me, tapping her fingers along her arms. "You like her then."

"Yeah. I do."

"I've never seen you so protective of anyone before," she says, smiling. "And, I mean, she's hot, so I get it."

Chuckling, I drop my arms. "Yeah, she's way out of my league, I know."

"I'm not saying that. You're related to me, so obviously you aren't terrible looking either."

I snort. "Wow, thanks for that self-esteem boost."