THIRTY SEVEN

emery

Lenora is standing in front of me before I can even process what Ara said. She's going to play with me. She's been taunting me with that since Lenora came crashing in.

"You will not lay a finger on her," Lenora snarls.

I am perfectly content to hide behind my dark angel, but I can't stop myself from reaching out to touch her bare spine. She's scratched up and dirty. I wish they'd give her clothes. The only thing that terrifies me more than what Ara is going to do to me . . . is what she'll do to Lenora. I can't bear to see what she'll do to tear down my badass Alpha. Lenora is my only hope here. I can't let anyone hurt her.

Lenora tenses under my fingers and I see her almost look over her shoulder at me. She resists though, continuing to glare at this formidable woman. My hand goes to the sore spot on my neck. I know by now what that is. I just don't understand how or why. This whole time, I thought only a person's mate could mark them. The fact that this bitchy blonde can just bite me and expect me to do whatever she wants is ludicrous.

"You forget so quickly," Ara is saying, malice riddling each word. "She's my mate now too. And you're my slave. You don't get to be greedy anymore, Lenora."

A pair of strong hands grab my waist and haul me away from her. I scream at the unexpected touch and resulting pain of their fingers digging into my chub. Lenora whips around just as two males grab her by the arms.

"No! NO!" Her voice booms. Everyone freezes for a moment, the force of her authority rendering us all submissive.

Even Ara looks surprised until a smirk curls at her naturally ruddy lips. I can't muster the power to look away from her or Lenora. I'm trapped under both of their wills.

"What are you so afraid of, Miss Alpha?" Ara asks coyly. "Afraid our little human toy will like me better?"

Lenora's body heaves with restraint. "I won't let you hurt her, Arabella."

"Who said I would hurt her? You have such little faith in me, Len."

I start feeling flustered that they're both talking like I'm not here. Lenora is just trying to protect me, but I have a voice.

"What do you want me to do?" I say, swallowing the nodule of apprehension in my throat.

"You're going to lick my pussy until I come," Ara tells me, meeting my gaze with her bold eyes. A bolt of heat shoots through me.

Lenora growls. "I will do it."

"You are more than capable. This I know personally." Ara laughs.

My blood turns to ice in me as I look at my mate. Lenora refuses to my eyes. Ara told me she and Lenora were together before me, but hearing this makes it real. Ugly, scalding jealousy courses through my veins.

"No," I snap at both of them. Eyes turn to me in surprise. "I got us into this. Lenora stays out of it."

Ara chuckles throatily as her eyes travel over me. I'm grateful for my shreds of clothes, but I have a feeling I won't have them for much longer. I hate what her gaze does to my body, the way it clenches and warms under those venomous eyes.

"Being brave now, little toy?" Ara takes my chin roughly in her hand and holds it up to peer into my gaze.

I'm not brave. Seeing Lenora touch another woman would wreck me. But even worse—she's an Alpha. I can't let her stoop this low. I can't let Ara rip away her dignity. That would be more destructive than envy.

I'm just a pawn in this, with no power from beginning to end. The least I can do is use my position to protect Lenora for as long as I can.

"Don't have to do this," Lenora pleads. My eyes find hers behind Ara's tall, intrusive figure. She looks agonized. Let me protect you, I all but hear her say.

Stupid tears bud in my eyes. I shake my head determinedly and look back at Ara. She smiles, clearly entertained.

"What an exciting triangle to be a part of," she says.

"I'll do whatever I have to," I tell her. "I know you want to hurt Lenora. So hurt me. We both know that will kill her more than anything."

Lenora swears with a growl. I'm right. I hate that I'm hurting her but it's better this way. She has to stay strong for more than just me.

"Wait," Lenora speaks, her voice gravelly and desperate. It surprises me. She sounds so vulnerable, so unlike the fortified Alpha I've come to know and lean on.

"This is your last chance to speak," Ara says. "I've had enough of your protests, Lenny. You, for once, get to just be a plain, ole spectator. Go ahead. Make it quick."

"You said you were going to use me first." Lenora's eyes flick briefly to me before returning to our adversary. "You were going to make her watch first and make me your slave. Remember? Are you going to go back on your plans suddenly, just because I pissed you off?"

I have no idea what Lenora's talking about. I never heard Ara say that. I can't let Lenora change Ara's mind. I have to protect this stubborn Alpha who is so damned caught on protecting me. She needs to let someone else protect her for once. And that person is and always will be me.

"You bit me," Ara reminds her. "If you think I'm letting you anywhere near my pussy"—she laughs—"you got something else coming for you."

"I won't!" Lenora whines. "Ara . . . please." Her eyes flutter shut with defeat and I feel so shaken by her resignation that more tears leak down my face. "Don't do this to her. I'm the one you want to torture."

Ara is quiet. All those around us, waiting and watching, are deathly still. My blood feels like magma in my veins while I wait, suspended on a precipice that will either lead to Lenora's demise or mine. At least no one needs me. People need her. I can be the broken one. I can take the blow for both of us.

Before I can conjure up something to convince her of this, Ara shatters the stillness.

"You can honestly be so moving when you want to be, Len," she says. Then she shrugs. "But you haven't convinced me this time. Dani, stuff something in her mouth."

"NO!" Lenora roars, lurching after us again.

The people holding her struggle and she nearly rips free of them. She isn't strong enough, though. They force her down to her knees and, just as I'm being dragged into Ara's den, I see the short woman with dark hair cram cloth into Lenora's mouth and strap it around her head.

The arms holding me push me into the den. I stumble and crash onto my knees, hard. When I blink, Ara is standing before me. Her pale thighs greet me. She places her fingertips on my forehead and forces my head back, giving me no choice but to look up at her face. Her eyes glint with what can only be a powertrip.

I hate her. Not only for doing this to me and Lenora but for ever knowing Lenora in the first place. If I was a wolf, I would scratch out her eyes. Hell, I might still try.

"We are both going to enjoy this," she says with a smirk.

"Doubtful," I hiss.

She laughs a dark, promising sound. "Little pet, you do have quite the attitude! I enjoy some spiciness." Leaning down, she taps my nose and her laughing face drops. "Just don't make a habit of it unless you want to be punished. I would take great pleasure punishing you."

I just want to get this over with. Nothing she says will change how I feel about doing this. I will do what I have to.