SIXTEEN

lenora

His eyes trace each frantic stride I make around the room. After half an hour of it, his constant surveillance gets under my skin.

"Denver," I snarl, halting to glare at him, "if you do not leave right now, I will break a chair on your head."

He raises both hands in surrender. "It worked at least. You stopped thinking about her for two seconds."

"Bitch," I mutter. Then I start pacing again.

"Sorry, Alpha, but I don't see how this is solving anything. If you're going to be so upset about her leaving, then go to her."

"And look like a straight psychopath? Absolutely not! The point is to win her over, not scare her, dumbass."

He blinks annoyedly but remains silent. It's why he has been my longest-lasting Beta.

"Alpha," he says, "you need to tell her. You were prepared to mark her so clearly you're more ready to tell her about us than you think."

"That was rash. I was being idiotic."

"Since when is marking your mate a rash or idiotic thing? You weren't hurting her. You've waited long enough as it is." He gives me a pointed look. "I hate to go here, but I think I have to. If those Rogues find out you have a mate and that she isn't marked or protected by you, they'll kill her or worse. You know this."

"I know," I hiss. "I could put her in more danger by telling her now. If I tell her and she runs from me because of it, then I really can't protect her."

Denver rolls his eyes. "You can spend all day pondering what-ifs. What you don't want to ponder all day is how you could've stopped her from being hurt. So go find her!"

"I can't leave the pack. Not when we're at such a high risk. We're expecting Alpha Demello any day now since someone invited them down here."

"We need all the help we can get," he defends himself, open palms raised.

"Exactly. I can't leave now." I tap my arm thoughtfully. "But I could send you."

His face drolls into blankness, which is the only way I ever know when he's upset. "No," he counters lowly. "You need me here. Especially if the rogues come."

"I need you safe in case I die. I think this is suddenly a great idea. Less than ideal since I can't go myself, but I might get something done if I know my most trusted wolf is watching her."

That stagnant look doesn't relent in the least.

"Come on," I urge him. "You might meet your mate, Denny."

"Alpha, please!" he begs with an exasperated sigh. "Not with that name again. And anyway, I'm doomed to be mateless forever. You know this."

I roll my eyes. "You are the only one who believes that. Every wolf has a mate."

"Maybe mine rejected me and I didn't even know."

"Doubtful. This doesn't change my mind. You're going to Savannah, Beta. Today. Pack your things and head out as soon as possible."

"Do we even have an address? Am I just stalking the poor girl?"

"Yes, stalking will do. Don't let her catch you. I'll find an address pronto. Hurry along now." I shoo him out of my room and close the door.

The stress of my mate being so far away and being utterly helpless is at least momentarily addressed. Denver doesn't have half the natural inclination to protect Emery as I do, but his loyalty to me will do well. She'll be safe. His absence will be trying on me, but it'll be safer for the pack too. None of my Gammas are capable of running this pack as efficiently or effectively as Denver would—and certainly nowhere near as I do.