FIFTEEN

emery

"Who the hell . . ." I mutter as I heave myself off the floor.

Lenora just stares at the door, fists clenched, like she's ready to box whoever is on the other side. She can't possibly know who is knocking though. Can she? Is that why she pulled away?

Adjusting my shorts, I stomp over to the door and lean way up onto my tiptoes to see through the peephole. My stomach drops. Calla stands on the other side with crossed arms.

"Em, it's me!" she says. "We need to talk."

I rub my temples and glance back at Lenora. "You should probably go sit in the bedroom."

Her eyes widen. "And why should I do that?" she snips, clearly pissed.

"Because she's going to flip if you're here."

"And I should care because . . . ?"

She's too stubborn for either of our goods. I open the door and prop it open with my elbow. Calla's face changes to surprise. Then back to angry.

"What's up?" I lamely ask.

"What's going on?" she demands. "Why are you ignoring me?"

I slowly shake my head. "It's not a good time."

"Apparently, it's never a good fucking time for you. I'm not going to text or call again. We'll never hang out. Unless you tell me what's going on."

Honestly, I can't see how it's any of her business. I want to tell her about Lenora—I don't want to lie to her—but I also don't know why she thinks she can be so demanding. We're hardly even friends. Even so, I know how hard it'll be to make new ones if Calla and her whole crew exile me. This town isn't that big.

"It's complicated," I tell her.

Her lips part but before she speaks, her gaze flicks over my shoulder. I sigh. Dammit.

"What the hell is that bitch doing here!" Calla yells.

Lenora comes forward until I feel her against my back. Her body is vibrating with a barely-contained growl.

"She's not a bitch," I say automatically.

Calla scoffs. "Are you kidding? Are you fucking kidding? You know her! She choked Deja! She could have fucking killed her!"

My jaw feels wired shut. I don't know what to say, but I know anything I do will come out wrong.

"She was in my way," Lenora says. "I hope she learned her lesson."

Well shit

"Learned her lesson?" Calla laughs harshly. "You're a literal psycho. And you," she says with a venomous glare directed towards me. "You're pathetic."

Her words slice at me, cutting open a nice big hole in my mood and confidence. As Calla turns and stomps off down the hall.

An arm snakes around me, tugging me into the room. She shuts the door and turns me around to see my face. The agitation has softened into concern. It's so hard to be mad at her. Especially when she looks so damn hot. I breathe forcefully out of my nose and turn away.

"Emery, talk to me," she says.

"I think we've done enough talking." I dig my fingernails into my palms. "Did you have to say that about Deja?"