SIXTY EIGHT

emery

After hours of sitting in the car, watching the Jeep fly over the pavement, we finally pull into Lemley.

It's mid-afternoon now and feels like nap time. Maybe I can take one once we get back to the pack house.

I stretch my sore muscles as Lenora parks out front of my building. Bella pulls into the space beside us and we all climb out.

Lenora stretches her arm over her head, causing her black tee to slip up. A sliver of tanned abs momentarily dazes me.

Bella elbows me with a snort. "Come on, shrimp," she playfully scolds. "You can eye fuck her all you want later. Show me your place."

Blushing, I nod and start towards my door. I take my spare from its hiding place and unlock the handle. The air smells stale as we enter.

"Haven't slept here in a while, so sorry about the dust," I say.

Bella shrugs, looking over everything. "It's pretty nice. I can clean it up."

While I give her a tour, Lenora stands in the foyer and talks to someone on the phone. Based on her tone, it sounds like Denver.

"Who's she talking to?" asks Bella.

Only then do I realize I've been staring at Lenora again like some creeper on the street.
I can't help it, though. She's so aesthetically pleasing to look at.

I can all too easily imagine the feel of her hands sliding over my skin and immediately shiver.

Yeah, we need to get the fuck outta here.

I shrug at my sister's questions. "Probably one of her friends. So when you need groceries, there's a Food City down the road. There's a park where you can run, I know you like to. It's a small town but there're a few businesses that might be hiring."

She nods and rubs her arms with both hands. "How far away will you be?"

"About fifteen minutes. Call if you need anything, okay?"

Wetting her lips, she nods. Then she lunges forward to grab me in a hug.

"Thank you," she breathes into my hair.

"Hey, it's no problem." I squeeze her tightly before pulling away. "I hope you like everything and settle in. We can get coffee or something tomorrow if you want."

"Sounds good."

"Okay. I love you. See ya later."

"Love you."

I place the key in her hand, smile at her once more, and then lead Lenora out of the apartment. She ends her call and tucks her phone into her pocket.

"Denver?" I ask.

She nods but doesn't say anything until we're in the car.

"Our neighboring pack is having some issues," she tells me, directing the Jeep onto the highway. "The Lemley city council is trying to get a permit approved for building a new government building on their pack lands."

"Sounds problematic," I note.

"Yes. Their alpha is an anxiety-riddled old man. I have no idea how he hasn't been challenged for his position yet." Sighing, she shakes her head. "One of my pack members and I have to go get things sorted. I'm going to drop you at the pack house, okay?"

"Okay," I cede. "But I expect a thorough cuddling when you get back."

She smirks with that familiar wicked gleam in her glacial blue eyes. "Of course, princess. Someone is feeling eager, hm?"