SIXTY THREE

lenora

My nerves peak as I turn onto the narrow suburban street. The Jeep's growls fill the quiet neighborhood with a menacing noise.

Emery squeezes my hand encouragingly but licks her lips—typical nervous gesture. I feel like I swallowed a boulder and the giant rock is now just sitting in my stomach.

"It's the second one on the right," she tells me.

I clear my throat as we slow down in front of a two-story white brick house.

There's a waist-high picket fence enclosing a manicured lawn. Ferns and flowers decorate the wraparound porch and front steps. It's quaint but well done.

"Nothing glamorous," Emery remarks. "Sorry if you thought I was an heiress or something."

As I park on the curb, I frown down at her. She flashes me a nervous smile.

"I'm just kidding. You met me while I worked at a diner so obviously I don't come from money."

She's confusing me more and more. We've never discussed money before and it's not something I want her to worry about.

Humans place a lot of value in money, because they always want more things. Pack wolves are, for the most part, not materialistic and enjoy living simple lives. As long as basic needs are met, pack wolves are content to make do with what they have.

It's an unspoken motto that as long as we have each other, a unified pack and cohesive family, then we have everything we need.

"What?" I ask. "This house is beautiful. And you should know by now I don't care about all that, baby girl."

Sighing, she grabs the door handle. "I know, you're right. I'm just nervous. It's been a long time since I've brought anyone home and . . . well, last time it was a guy. I'm just nervous. My parents haven't heard from me in months and suddenly I show up with a—"

I arch a brow.

"Girlfriend?" she finishes, wrinkling her nose. "That sounds crazy to say."

"Well," I say, cutting the engine and reaching across the console to grab her thigh. "Girlfriend doesn't cover even half of it, but that's the only thing that will make sense to your parents. For obvious reasons, we can't get into the whole werewolf and mates thing."

Emery nods slowly. "Right."

I gently apply some pressure to her leg. "It's okay to be nervous. Whatever happens today, we leave here together. I love you."

For the first time all day, she relaxes. Her lips twitch up in a genuine smile. "I love you, too. Like, a whole bunch."

"Good. Now, let's go meet your parents." My stomach turns as I finally accept the reality of what's about to happen.

Emery has been stressed the entire drive here but I have played it cool. I've never met human parents before, considering my entire life revolved around ignoring the existence of humans in the first place.

I have no idea what the fuck to do or say. I know to be polite, but what do I say when they ask the hard questions?

We meet at the hood and I reach for her hand. She twists her fingers around mine, her hazel eyes clouded. I lean down to peck the top of her head.

"Don't be scared," I say. "We got this."

We walk up the driveway and onto the porch. I hear voices engaged in a furious conversation, but judging by the dramatic flair, it's the television.