SEVENTEEN

lenora

Carter and his party have arrived. As I emerge from the house onto the back patio, I count the pairs of glowing eyes trotting into the backyard. Eleven forms glide into the pool of yellow patio light, their eyes like moons finding me from space. My wolf shifts uneasily inside me. Too many newcomers for her taste.

Caden and Desiree are at the head of the group, having led them in as my designated escorts.
A colossal auburn wolf that I regrettably remember approaches me with my escorts while the rest of his wolves stay back. Caden and Desiree shift back, leaving Carter in his wolf form. He's safer that way until we have established an understanding. Alphas don't like sharing space with other Alphas and our extenuating circumstances don't make things any less tense.

"Alpha," Desiree announces with a slight bow before me with her neck. "Caden and I safely escorted Alpha Gaccione and his band, as you requested."

"Thank you both," I say with a nod. "You are free to go now."

They dress in their clothes and disappear into the pack house. I step off the porch to approach my guests. So many unwelcome visitors this month. Carter's auburn wolf holds his head high as I near.

"Gaccione," I greet. "There are clothes for everyone on the patio. You are welcome to change now, and then we can talk."

He bobs his great head, dark eyes sparkling. His wolves melt into their human forms and head to the piles of clothes. Now alone, Carter shifts. He stands several inches over me, and I'm more or less six feet tall. I feel my shoulders automatically fill out to make myself appear bigger and more threatening.

"Good to see you again, Lenny," Carter says with a grin. His thick red curls tumble down to his shoulders, illuminating the paleness of his complexion. His caramel eyes dance behind his red lashes as he surveys me. "You look great."

"It's Dunn to you," I mutter. "Pretty bold of you to assume you would be welcome here. Why'd you come, Carter?"

"I told you, Len. Trouble is coming and we want to help." He turns away to motion around us. "Say, where are all your wolves? This place is a ghost town."

I eye him, skeptical. It wasn't that I feared Carter would turn on me. Despite my rejection, there hadn't really been feelings involved. It was only ever going to be a business transaction. Still, I had a hard time believing he came all this way out of the goodness of his heart. I just hoped that he wasn't lying about being here for the attack. It was in his best interest to help us fight the rogues before they made it north to his pack, but that didn't mean he had pure motives.

"A few have been deployed to Alabama to help Tara and her pack."

"Ah," he grumbles. "How are they doing?"

I look off with a sigh. "I don't know. They've all been unresponsive."

"Have you sent a scout after them?"

"No. We're operating at minimal security here. Alpha Shores and I sent a scouting party before the rogues reached Tara, but they were supposed to join her forces. I don't know where they are."

He starts towards the patio so I follow, considering how I can make this asshat leave without brute force. The last pile of clothes is soon slipped over his nude body. The rest of his wolves are either sitting or standing, waiting for commands.

"Well," Carter begins, "I can send two of mine to scout. That leaves us with seven, which isn't much, but better than nothing."

"I don't think we should sacrifice anyone else." I fold my arms across my chest. "Tara or my wolves will contact me as soon as they can. If the rogues breakthrough, we need to be here and be prepared."