Chapter 2. Adulting Is Hard

March 6, 2023. 1:15 PM.

I arrive at the apartment building and walk in.

"Hello, I'm inquiring about an apartment for rent." I say, although the way I said it makes it seem more like a question. "One bed, one bath, perhaps something small? It's just me."

"You'll want apartment 111, building A, second floor." The kind-looking, older woman behind the desk tells me.

"Thanks for the suggestion, ma'am." I smile.

"You're welcome, sweetie. My name's Phoebe, I'm the landlady."

"I'm Artemis." I smile. "You know what, I'd like to rent that apartment. The scenery is beautiful here, and I've always liked this part of town."

"Oh, delightful!" Phoebe exclaims.

I pull out documents for my alias and everything goes perfectly.

I walk into my new apartment, dragging my suitcase behind me with my coat draped over my forearm; like those movies where the main character, a female, walks into her new apartment dragging her suitcase behind her with her coat. Ugh, such a cliché.

I leave my suitcase and coat by the now closed door and sit down in what could be the living room. I grab my phone and pull up my messages to Clint.

Blueberry: 427 West Fifth Street, Los Angeles, California. Apartment 111, building A.

Arrow Guy: Thx. You doing ok?

Blueberry: play Fake Happy by Paramore, you'll find out.

Arrow Guy: Alright fine, jeez kid, you could've just told me.

Blueberry: yea, so please, don't ask me how i am, don't make me play pretend. oh what's the use, cause somehow, everyone ends up finding out my emotional state anyways

Arrow Guy: Seriously, kid? You know what, hey, I'll see you tomorrow, I'll bring the stuff Natasha wanted in your care, and you and I have to talk about something.

Blueberry: i don't need therapy, Clint. i've made it this far, i can go the rest of my life.

Arrow Guy: Thanks for the idea!

I shut my phone off in frustration.

I decide to pull out my laptop and find the nearest furniture store, as I just realized that my apartment is empty. I look in a back room and it's fully furnished, exactly to my liking. How? I turn around and the walls are a mint green. The linoleum tile beneath me turns to wood floorboards before my eyes. The kitchen and living room furniture starts to appear, changing a few times before settling on a color scheme. Mint green, navy blue, silver, and sky blue. What is going on here? Is this Hades' doing or am I just going insane?

So, what happens now?

I'm hungry.

Food, that's what happens now.

I walk to the kitchen and I open the fridge to find it completely empty.

Oh. Right. I live alone, I have to get groceries. Jeez.

Alright, what should I have for dinner this week?

Tacos, pizza- jeez this is never gonna work.

"Eliza, I need help." I groan.

"With what?" Eliza asks.

"Everything." I say, dragging out each syllable.

"So you're a bit of a fixer upper!" Eliza exclaims.