Chapter 18. The Best Birthday Present. Well, Second Best

January 11, 2024. 6:00 AM.

"Timed message playing in five. Four. Three. Two. One." Eliza counts down and I look up from the food cooking on the stove.

"What?" I ask. I then see my glasses project a hologram. I wince slightly, as last time a projection popped up randomly, I almost died at least three times. "Mama!" I exclaim upon seeing her and I quickly flip the burner off so I don't burn my pancake.

"I should inform you that this is only a hologram, Lina. A pre-recorded message." Eliza notes.

"It's definitely better than nothing." I smile.

"Happy birthday, Sunshine." Mama smiles. "You're officially eighteen. You have unlocked the full SHIELD package, and if needed, I've arranged for Zephyr 11 and a squad to be assigned to you, to use whenever it's needed. You now have access to the Blue Box. The original six Avengers have prerecorded things to help you.

"Mack will tell you that there's what's known in SHIELD as an 0-8-4. It's a person or thing that's extremely dangerous. Daisy is an 0-8-4. You were almost an 0-8-4 after the Accords incident, but I managed to get them to drop it. The Blue Box is an 0-8-4 and has all of the classified secrets as well.

"Stuff on there ranges from what happened in Budapest-"

"Budapest!" I exclaim.

"-to the messier details of Howard and Maria Stark's deaths, our Red Room training to over half the ingredients to the Super Soldier Serum. I would've given it to you with the improvements to Eliza, but Fury wouldn't have it. But, enough about the work stuff. It's almost your birthday! Tony'll have something cool planned, I know it. Happy eighteenth, Sunshine. I wish I could be there to see you." Mama says.

"I wish you could be here too." I smile.

"She is in a way. She's proud of what you've accomplished." Eliza reassures.

"I know." I smile.

Then, the hologram stops and my phone rings. I put my glasses on and I see who's calling.

"Sup, Kenzie?" I ask.

"Ken- never mind. I have a mission, if you want it." Mack says.

"Let me guess, an 0-8-4 and this is a treasure hunt set up by the one and only Natalia Romanova." I say.

"Erm, how'd you guess?"

"I'm a spy, it's what I do." I smile. "Prep Z11, I'll be over in thirty." Mack's gonna freak when he sees Eliza.

"Cool. And Alina?"

"Yeah?"

"Happy birthday."

"Thanks, Kenzie." I smile, hanging up. "We have a mission." I grin at Eliza.

I grab a duffel bag and put a change of clothes in it as well as a snack, a book, my earbuds, and my phone.

"Eliza?"

"Yeah?"

"Where's my blue supersuit?"

"I uh, put it away!"