Chapter 16

Whatever happened yesterday was a long story and because of it I came to school a little bit later than I intended to.

Heads turn as I walked into legal studies. A dirty pink duffle bag was slung over my left shoulder; hair no longer tumbled down to the waist and fanned out like a lion’s mane with an adorable leopard patterned headband sat on top of my hair pulling off a devilishly cute style. I didn’t need to check the mirror to see if I’ve grown another head and it was oblivious that it was my new haircut that made it impossible for them to take their eyes off me after my few days of absences.

My body was tense as I walked stiffly up the stairs to the back row of the lecture theatre. Their attentions were unbearable, causing my face turn in a deeper shade of pink. I kept my eyes on the spare seat at the centre, trying to ignore all the stares drilling into the back of my head. Then to my relief the teacher at the bottom tapped the microphone snatching back everybody’s attention. I sighed and flopped into one of those comfortable theatre chairs and pulled down the writing tablet from the side.

I dropped my bag heavily on the table. That magical bag weighs a ton and inside was like another universe with random things hidden in every corner. Immediately, I began digging things out and going through the contents but neither of my text book and pencil case were in there. My magical bag had failed me.

Annoyed, I grunted and pushed my bag off the tablet and slumped over with my arms crossed and rested pressed my right ear against my arms. A yawn exposed my tireless and quickly I covered my mouth and closed my eyes for a short moment…

A tall drench lady stood in front of the main gates of Chateaux. Her dark hair was pulled in a messy ponytail. Under the only light source of the decorative gate lamps, bags rimmed under her dull brown eyes and in her arms she caressed a sleeping baby.

I didn’t know her but an intriguing feeling tells me that this person was about to lead something wicked out towards us.

My eyes widened when I noticed Nicholas’ shoulders began to loosen up. He made a step forward as if he knew the person. I began to feel uneasy about the way he was strangely calm and silent. I could feel a connection between him and this woman that I didn’t know of and why does my hand want to grab onto him and claim him mine? This isn’t me at all, so I let it drop.

“Well, isn’t it Luke’s perfect ex? I wonder what’s she’s doing crawling back home asking forgiveness?” he sneered, making me shuddered at his despiteful words.

My hearing is perfectly fine but did he just mention Luke? Nicholas despises his hateful brother and every moment I tried talking to him concerning about his brother, he’ll put such a scornful face that is darker than black which shuts me up immediately.

“Is that how you talk to your beloved was-to-be-sister-in-law? When did you become so despicable? You were only up to my shoulder length and so sweet and innocent since the last time I saw you,” she sounded fake.

Bitterness spilled out of their tongues, creating a heavy canopy between them. What didn’t surprise me was that Nicholas exposed a cunning smile, a smile that only I knew the meaning behind it. Many people who saw it died with joy or astonished by his “warm” expression but it actually meant that he is scheming something evil. The women was another case, she was unfazed by Nicholas’ smile and kept her grim look on.

“Let’s cut to the chase. Why are you here after abandoning your subjects and betraying my brother? Not only you disgraced your country, you also disgraced ours,” Nicholas pressed with a growl.

Something clicked inside. Everything started to make sense now and what’s more is that I was able to peep into Nicholas’ true character. What I see, it could be leading me to conclusions but my judgments were rarely wrong; Nicholas has a tad bit of patriotism and secretly in a brother complex with Luke and with that my view on Luke is beginning to shift.