Chapter 22

Angels sang overhead in a perfect harmony. They were truly beautiful, unlike anything I’ve seen before and no creature on earth could match their radiance. They were far beyond Michelangelo’s magnificent dome; instead of fair skin, stolen dove wings, they were different to a six years-old’s imagination of an angel. They were unlike us that were crafted by God’s hands and with a breath of life; they were amorphous, taking in forms of pure white light and were born from human laugher, joy and peace.

Soon no later, I found myself drifting through space. I was no way as good enough to become one of those ethereal beings and was still in my human form; just another soul to be collected. I watched unearthly spheres of energy or should I say angels floated by as it was their fastest and easiest way to move. At rare moments, I witnessed some had shifted into human forms, light radiated from their shell and spurted from their backs.

Amazed from what I’ve seen so far, I twirled around in my fathomless world. The blue sky, decorate with fluffy shades of pink, purple blue clouds were beneath my feet, more clouds extended into the sky like stair ways to heaven. I was only at the foot of paradise and the glimmering silver gates were not far head.

Suddenly millions of silver butterflies appeared before my eyes and formed a bridge. It looked delicate and one false move the bridge will break away.

The bridge extended out cross the sky to the other side where the stairs awaited promising no hunger, no suffering and shelter. I walked to it as beams of light shifted into their human form standing at the other end, their seraphim voices sang out to me.

“Wait, don’t go any further!”

I stopped midway and turned around to the voice. An orb of golden light different from the other white lights, hovered behind me. It took me by surprised when it slowly summoned every matter in the world creating a body for its own.

“Don’t go, don’t cross the bridge,” a strong structure planted his feet in the clouds.

He was beautiful but nothing holy about him. His skin did not illuminate like the other angels and wings didn’t fan out behind him. He looked…normal just like me. However behind his soulful brown eyes, it contained precious memories of a girl with flaming red hair and emerald jeweled eyes, producing an air of love and lost.  He had something that the angels lacked, he has love and humility.

 “Do you know me?” I cocked my head to the side.

“Yes I do,” a gentle breeze picked up his brown wispy hair and brushed over his hazel eyes. “You’re Sophie Harrison, you don’t belong here well not yet,”

A thunderous pain strokes my head.

“Stop, I don’t know who you are and that’s not my name!” I screamed in agony as the name pounded my head.

I fell to the ground, holding my head as it spun round and round in a mess of memories and emotions that did not belong to me.

Angels at the other end of the butterfly bridge sang louder bribing me with their soothing powers and other tempting offers. The boy was speechless, his face was shadowed with grief, his form slowly dropped away disappearing at every second. I didn’t know if time existed here but seeing him like that made my heart break.

“Child of God, you are stuck between life and death. You are not destined to remain in limbo. You are free to choose your path as today will be your judgmental day,” a voice echoed from the doors of heaven. “Let go and let the light embrace you or continue the where you have left off as you wish.”