Chapter 13

The next few days, I didn’t go to school.

Sleepless nights were all that’s left of me. Abundant burdens weighed down my shoulders, its prickling news constantly rang in my ears.  Clouded thoughts and giddy possibilities tallied up, keeping me wide awake. My head was poisoned with negative thoughts and finally felt discomfort since the moment I decided my fate.

I couldn’t help recalling my dispute about two days ago about the unannounced engagement with the crown prince right after the knife incident. The news of getting engaged was true but the person who’s the one is engaged was not me but Sophie Moreau and that was few years ago when the Moreau woman was still her father’s puppet.

I should be relieved, but there was nothing really to be relieved about. In the contract, I was to live as Sophie Moreau till the day she comes back for her throne which meant I would have to marry Luke if she doesn’t come back in time. And to be married to a guy that I hate, I finally understand the reason of the princess’ disappearance and that guy just makes me want to land a fist in his face.

The clock strike again. It had been a long time since I kept the time and date. For all this time, I hid under the covers with my body curled up in a tight ball, only leaving a little gap for air to come in. My loyal attendants were sent away each time they offered something and begged me to school. I ignored them all even the bossy Amelie, who shouted at me and ripped my covers twice before but soon gave up.

It was unbelievable that crown prince can make such a gamble and also he had no right to do so but the price was too high to pay for and it was impossible to say no. There was no way I was going to let my parents feel lost again and not when I haven’t found the most likely solution in returning the prince’s favour and carry the business on my own which meant that I still got a long way to go.

Genova winter is close and that would be the time that I would turn into a legal age to be able to married, drink, get a driver’s license and to be free. The last one would never come true to me while am still bound to the contract. Where is free in freedom, when freedom is slavery?

So what am I doing now? Hiding away from the world and hope things will solve for themselves? I never knew I was more than an idiot like this. Dad’s love for mum taught me a big lesson that if I want something I will need to get out of my pitiless hell hole and go for it like there’s no tomorrow.

“Stefan! Lucie! Come here this instant!” I called as I flung the covers off my head.

Light cleansed me with purity and hope as I flicked the curtains open and unlatched a window for the chill to kiss myself awake. It was cold and stingy but no matter how cold it was, the new fire relit inside my tiny body would not be able to be put off too easily.

“My lady!” Lucie shouted behind me. “What are you doing? It’s freezing!”

Feeling light on the balls of my feet, I twirled around giving her dimples. At my sudden recovery, Lucie and Stefan were stunned for a few seconds before they gave me a warm welcome back.

“Has Yume, Nanette and Wilson returned home safely?” It took me long enough to ask about my friends safety and I immediately felt bad for only remembering about them till now.

“Aye, Miss. They were returned right after you were taken to Prince Luke while unconscious. Don’t need to worry, there isn’t any serious injuries,” Stefan assured me.

Lucie stopped brushing my hair and brought over a silver plated hand mirror. A strange woman stared at me with awe as she explored on the inside the frame.  Her hair was perm straight and cut into layers and shone bright red in the bathing light.