Chapter 6

Trouble began to stir.

The crown prince had told me earlier that I would have to attend the Genovian dance on the second day of the Summer Fete. To be honest I’d never had any experience on dancing let alone the Genovian traditional dancing, I was often told I have two left feet.

Back in Hamilton during the end of year party, girls would get all chatty about what they are going to wear and who they want to dance with. For an outcast like me or should I say the-one-who-doesn’t-want-to-mix-in ,  was never asked to the end of year party so I didn’t even bother to go and stayed home watching movies all by myself. Therefore I didn’t have to learn how to dance.

“Miss, excuse me for asking but why do you look so glum?” Stefan, the male servant’s name I’d finally remembered after several days of his attendance.

These days I found myself constantly staring out of the window with my head rested on my arms, staring out of the windows. Things always seemed brighter at outside of these walls and for me a thundercloud seemed to hover around my head all day long. I wonder what time it is back at home and I still haven’t received any replies to my emails yet. I guess everyone is probably busy enjoying their winter holidays or busily keeping their business up and running like mum and dad. The empty feeling caused me to let out a sigh.

“Nothing, it’s just that I don’t know how to dance,” I muttered.

“That is simple, if you do not mind your loyal servant to show you how, it would be an honor to teach you,” He offered.

“But that’s impossible-”

“Impossible you say? I would not tolerate that attitude of yours young mistress,” Amelie snapped.

Oh right, Amelie’s job was to keep me under her surveillance and teach me how to become a proper lady and here she is to come and lecture me. For the past few days, during almost every afternoon when I get back from my an hour and forty-five minutes plus trip back to the chateaux, she would drive me into all these harsh etiquette training of hers and trained me as if I was never trained hard before. Behind her beautiful and youthful mask, she’s actually an old evil demon.

“Alright, alright,” I surrendered. “I’ll give it a try,”

“Good then let’s begin,” She declared.

Amelie had ordered Stefan and Lucie, another servant’s name that I’ve finally remembered, to bring out an ancient brass gramophone and prepared a pair of dancing shoes with the right fitting.

“May have a dance?”

Stefan bowed out to me. I hesitated and caught a glimpse of Amelie who seemed to glower at me in the background. I swallowed hard and took his hand. He had gently tugged me off the chair by holding both of my hands. I was about to pull away when I was aware of Amelie’s stern look.

“The Genovian dance is quite similar with the jive but more turns, less kicks, no lifts are involved,” Stefan spoke in some language that I couldn’t understand.

My head was spinning round and round.

“I apologize, but I have no idea what is a jive,” I confessed.

“Oh, I am very sorry. Lucie and I would show you how it is done,” he apologized.

 So it began with Amelie placing the tonearm in the centre of the turntable. A fast, bouncy unfamiliar music blared out of the large brass speaker.

 Lucie and Stefan stood in the centre of my room, both facing each other hand in hand. They nodded their heads and tapped their feet to the beat then sprung off to action. They did two jumpy side steps to the left, rocked back and forth then did a half spin when Stefan had his left arm around in front of Lucie’s waist.  Then they began doing the two jumpy side steps all over again but this time to the right, rocked back and forth then spun back to their first position. They continued on their rocking, both let go one hand and then rock in and out releasing their hand while Lucie did a spin.