Chapter 2

During the morning it’s the least busy time of the day at school. People decides to waltz to school whenever they felt like and end up getting detention by the late-pass and uniform department patrolling along the corridors and at the gates when the bell signaled for the first class. Students never know when or where they appear, they are rumored to be ninjas in disguises.

It was still early in the morning, only fifteen minutes before the first lesson starts to be precise. It’s one of those rare mornings that I wake up early and go to school before the first warning bell. But today was a different matter. On my shoulders I carried few “Go Green!” recycle bags and my pink with white hearts Sportsgirl duffel bag hooped around my forearm.  I shuffled to my locker, remembering to keep a low profile as for I had no intentions of mixing in with the smart alecs but rebel type that hung around my locker area.

The bell went and the corridors became alive with people whirling pass trying to get to their lockers as soon as possible hopping that they won’t get caught by those old nags from the late-pass and uniform department. I mimic them and yank out books that I need for today’s lesson and those that aren’t into the recycle bags. 

I twirled around and to my surprised I knocked into Nicholas Windsor who still had his sports bag strapped across his chest, his hands in his jean pockets. I stopped dead then made for the right but unexpectedly he did the same, then we both tried for the left. No good.  He stood still this time. I glanced at my watch and took a left turn and dashed past him. I only had less than a minute to make for biology class at the new buildings before the teacher will rage at me again for the umpteenth time or be caught by those patrollers.

The bio teacher was about to slide the door when I quickly shoved my foot into the gap to stop it from closing. I came face to face to the bio teacher who seemed unhappy to see me but added a bit of sadness in his expression. The news probably had reached to all the teachers that I have this year and the ones I had in the previous years.

“Sorry,” I mumbled. “Sorry I’m late.”

He opened the door and let me in.

“Okay come on in. This might be the last time I get to give you a detention during lunch,” he sighed.

I stepped in and took a brief look around the classroom with no one paid interests at my lateness. In my usual seat at the far right corner next to the window was occupied by Nicholas Windsor who normally sit in the centre of the middle row. Wait was he always in my bio class and how the hell did he get here so fast?

 His chin was rested in his palm; eyes stared directly outside the closest open window to where he sat, bored and unconcerned about his surroundings. His other hand tapped his pen irritatingly against the bench.

Before I was settled into a spare spot near the front, the bio teacher asked me to get up to the front of the room. I swallowed hard and stalked up there, head low with my semi-straight curly hair curtained the side of my face.

At the front of the room, I could see everyone’s eyes flickered at me then back to what they were doing few seconds ago, showing no sign of interest. I had always been a wallflower, I had a choice whether if I want to stand out or not but being the background doesn’t bother me at it because it’s not like I even want to be here at the first place.

Good, let’s keep it this way so it’ll be a clean break and no hearts broken. I shuffled my feet and stared down at them as I laced my hands behind my back, nervously.

“It’s a shame that Miss Harrison will be leaving us so soon. In fact I was informed to tell you all that today is her last day with us. She’ll be leaving us to somewhere far away to a country that I don’t even know where in the world but I believe it’s somewhere in Europe. Please send her you best regard when you have the chance.”