Chapter 8

Since the day I’ve arrived, the crown princess looked healthier than the first time I’ve met her. Although she could immediately tell that I’m not the “real” Sophie, her cheeks had surely blossomed which was a good thing since that’s the main reason why I am temporarily here at the Chateaux.

A least a month ago, I had rashly signed a contract to become Genova’s Princess’s stand in, to in order to save my parent’s family business and travelled a great distance away from my beloved family and friends that I can no longer call them that. But what can it seriously go wrong? With such generous deal when the taste of luxury is part of the package? Nothing, well that’s what I thought.

It felt good stationed in front of the fireplace trying to stop my toes freezing off. It was the first month of the wet season and the temperature had already fallen to fifteen degrees Celsius which was really nothing to me.  Back at home, fifteen degrees Celsius was the average and those who were born there had inherited some sort of resistance to the weather and tourists who weren’t used to the weather would think the teenagers are crazy wearing such few clothing. This was Genova, located somewhere in Europe, which meant that snow might be involved sometimes in the wet seasons and I wonder how long my resistance will hold.

After observing the life in Genova, I noticed that, the summer in Hamilton was like the end of the world for them and while the winters are long, grey and somehow lonesome here, but when the snow melts, the sleeping city will burst to life at the wake of the springtime morning. The seagulls will once again spread out their wings and circle the bright blue sky, children and their sound of their pure laughter as the ties lick their toes.

I was on my belly, legs kicked frantically in the air. I shuffled further away from the fireplace trying to avoid the hot burning ashes that leaped at me hungrily. I was on my laptop checking for notifications that would never appear on my profile page. To be frank, I don’t have many friends on Facebook and most of them were just relatives and friends I grew up with around in the neighborhood.

A sigh was let out into the air as I closed the tab and opened another and this time was to check my emails. Mum and dad had replied back my most recent email. Dad was ever so busy since they got the company back again and without me being a hindrance any more mum was eager to get back working again as dad’s financial manager, since she was a business accountant graduate before she’d married dad and had me.

There wasn’t anything romantic about my parents love story and mum was always the serious type who puts her career before her and her love interest and somehow dad managed to win her heart. Dad often told me that I inherited his intelligence but with my mother’s disinterest in love life. He is constantly worried if there would be a day that I will be married and right now, the answer seems negative because I could never understand what goes through a guy’s mind and I think don’t even want to. They either disgust me or are too full of themselves like some aristocrats that I know.

“My lady, tea is served and your next music lesson will begin shortly,” Lucie entered the room with a silver trolley laid out with finger-sized desserts and dainty floral painted tea set on top.

I let out a groan and pushed myself off the carpet then slumped into a chair in front of the fire place.  Lucie swiftly loaded the table with everything out from the trolley and kept her swan like posture as she did so. I envied her, even she was born to work she succeeded me in everything that I was taught by Amelie.

When I was about to reach out for the cup of tea, a ruler slammed pass beside my hand and everything on the table and I hit the roof. As I finally came back down to earth, that instant I knew what I did wrong. So quickly I bolted straight up in my chair and smoothed every part of me down.