Chapter 23

Few days later, the media was filled with headlines in bold letters about the Australian girl who’d saved the Genovian heir to the throne. Perfect shots of the redheaded, paled skin girl pushing away the princess took almost half of the page on every Genovian newspapers and perhaps many other foreign papers. Only a small head shot of the chancellor, the crown prince’s secretary was placed in the corner.

“Mysterious Australian woman took the bullet for the Genovian princess during the crowning. Chancellor George Chevalier was charged guilty for being the master mind of the attempted assassination of the royal family and his trial would be held in the next few weeks,” The news reporter yakked intensely. “Middle Europe’s most wanted Santiago Fernando, known as the “Chassuer”, was also caught in the operation and was suspected for six murders, three assaults and eight robberies. Ministers who turned away from the government were sacked and prohibited to enter parliament again –”

Mysterious? Stupid reporter, she needs to check the news more often then be engrossed with her own reporting. I mean, my name’s everywhere and I’m the currently talk of the month. The prince has even announced my identity and the true story of Sophie Moreau Keusch’s disappearance to everyone to diffuse the two look-alikes. I guess that’s a new way to get famous.

I flicked the television off and stuffed the last piece of clothing into my good old duffle bag. Everybody was waiting for me, the pesky journalists waiting at the front of the hospital hoping to get something out from me after few days of rehabilitation and monitoring just in case there was nothing wrong with me. They’re out there, wanting to pry about my relationship between the crown prince and his spouse, Sophie Keusch and more importantly the youngest prince of England.  

Thankfully, the prince had planned my departure carefully and made sure that the security was tight for my safety. Mum and dad were not allowed to check out the hospital with me and were to wait at the Chateaux because the less people there are the easier for the security to take charge. Nicholas was also advised not to come but the day before he received a call from home that he needed to go back immediately.

“Miss, are you ready to go?” Stefan stood behind me.

 He looked elegant in his new uniform, his girlfriend must’ve been proud of him. He was recently promoted to Mr Chevalier’s position as the butler and he was relieved that the position of the secretary was given to someone else in the government. I was happy for him, since he and Lucie was the closet people to me in the chateaux and he was finally able to marry his girlfriend if she didn’t mind being the wife of a butler. 

“Please, Stefan, why are we being back to being formal to each other?”

“As a butler I have to be polite and conscientious or else I will let the prince down,” he puffed out his chest.

“Seriously? Well I think you’re perfect the way you are and that’s probably why the prince has selected you out of many servants in the house,” I smiled. “Come on let’s go, I’m tired of seeing these four walls already, I want my storeroom back.”

That night, I was given my suite back. Amelie who was living the opposite room was asked to resign from her job because her unacceptable act. She had left a note with Lucie apologizing about the chocker incident and that she was paid to do it. She’d move out while I was still in the hospital and it was her room that was given to my parents during their stay.

It was few minutes away before dinner with the royal family and Mum and dad had left me alone so I could adjust to my “new” surroundings. Well, to be honest, they just wanted to use it as an excuse so they could burry themselves in work and making phone calls overseas to see if everything was alright back at home. I couldn’t help it, they were always like that since I was young but at least they did drop everything to come and see me if I was still alive. I have to give them credit for checking up on me but they could’ve called on my eighteenth birthday –Wait, they can’t because I was half dead on my eighteenth.