Chapter 17

Watches, clocks, the running sand of hourglasses, the gears of time keep turning till it meets its fate. The countdown officially begins and it waits for no one. If only chronology does not exist then there will be forever and never the need to move on. However I don't understand why this matters so much right now when I never cared before because I'd lived also eighteen years of my life going through day after the day like it's a repetition from the day before but until now the reality of expiration is not only labeled on food; it's even on everything whether it's an object with no life or something that can breathe.

Many things are yet to come to pass and the markings on the calendar are increasing as each day concludes its chapter. Club display and parents conference are drawing near. Exams for those who are continuing to go further to their education into university are beginning in a month or so and after that it's the terminales graduation ball. More importantly, my free hitched ride on the roller-coaster would be put to an end.

The teacher's notes got harder and harder to understand. Words that I knew no longer made any sense but a string of meaningless letters bunched up together. My mind was hurting with people around me acting strangely. It was impossible to make up for my legal studies that I missed yesterday's lesson especially when everyone in the club seemed half dead which worries me.

Besides all of that, at least I remembered how to do things myself again since Lucie and Stefan were assigned to serve the real lady, if not I'll be forgetting to bring my stuff again. However there was still one thing I couldn't do for myself which was waking up at the sound of my alarm and if it wasn't for Amelie who came in to wake me up then bolted straight out of the door without hearing my "thanks", I would've be late for school again.

Now back to the zombies that lurked around the background, things got worse the longer I sat at the table nearest to the middle window that looked down to the courtyard. Ivan shared a table with me, he seemed normal but with a sly grin on his face as he played on his smart phone. He was also one of the reason why I couldn't do my homework peacefully with all the shaking and thumping he caused on the table.

The other boys in the club were a different story. Each and one of them were flustered for some reasons and it was definitely something to do with the club display joint parents' conference, I could judge by their reactions when it was first announced by Yume. Their faces fell instantly turning into dried up corpses with sunken eyes and hollow cheeks and kept it like that after Yume had let the bombshell land and left for an emergency meeting with the other club presidents and the school reps. That's when I realised that I was left to deal with these people.

Leo sighed heavily and clink his hardware so many times that I finally lost count. He was king of etiquette, a perfectionist and it was surprising to see him drop his reputation. What was even more shocking is that our genius musician, Andrew caused at least a screech on his violin and went off tune with his piano. They must be really worried about dishonoring their parent's names as well as not meeting their standards.

Yuuki was no worse than the other two and in fact he was the first out of the other boys to know the news. He was loitering around the room, distracted with something when Yume happily told everyone about the display and bounced off to the meeting. He must've known something that can't be shared and after going around in circles he finally gave in and knocked his lights out and curled up on the chaise lounge.

I groaned a little and threw my books down on the table followed by Ivan swearing and hitting the table hard with his fists. He placed down his phone aside which clearly said "Game Over" across the screen and stretched forward pushing a large proportion of my stuff on to the ground.

"Ivan!" I growled at him. "You're picking them up,"

"Aye ma'am," He said between yawns.

He lazily got out of his chair and chucked everything back onto the table. I grumbled as I shuffled and moved things around while Ivan jumped back to his seat restarting the game.