Chapter 18; Break in

I felt my heart beating like crazy as I broke into Dad's room.

The dark room was served with only one window, pile of papers and file works covering half the room. Dad was extremely private about his work room making me suspect if there were memories of mom and Yeo hidden there.

Even as a child, I knew that room was out of bounds that I'd barely step a foot into the room before. After 18 long years, I finally had the courage to sneak into the room ready to discover the unexpected truth.

5 hours earlier_

"Welcome back, Ladies and Gentlemen! And non-binary people!!" The lights swirled from the screen as Jimmy spoke toward the camera. It showed the boyz once again with the same costumes as not much time passed for them during the recording.

"I'm dying to hear the answer." Changmin chuckled as he spoke. "It has been only 10 minutes, dude. chill." Haknyeon insisted.

"Where were we- Right! Who will have the most successful solo career?" Jimmy asked. "Who eve thought that we would split up?" Hyunjae said with a confused face as oohs came from the audience alongside with the cheers.

"Plus our contract is- sjlfkdjfklsdhaf," Sunwoo was fast enough to shut Hyunjun's mouth tight before anyone could understand what he said. "Nothing! Nothing! He kept talking about the underwear story. haha..."

"I want to grow old with you guys, y'know?" Younghoon said glancing at the members as they all nodded instantly, showing each other pure smiles. "Well I'm really happy to hear that."

"Since we're in this topic, I was wondering about," he said pointing at each of them. "Why are there only 5 of you?" A strange icy silence fell upon the group as they weren't really expecting this as the ending question. No-one was.

"How many of us do you want?" Hyunjun asked with a straight face. "The world ain't ready for 1000 of us." More cheers. "I mean...NCT is already enough tho." Sunwoo said with a huge laugh, follw d by the audience.

"If you're comparing us with western boy bands...well, a lot of them had 5 members tho." Juyeon said. "Well..my point here is there could have been more,right? Seven?" The boyz exchanged glances. They weren't ready to answer this. I sat there, studying the boyz' reaction confused of what was happening.

"Well, Jimmy. You do understand how idol industry work,right? The line up changes literally every single day until it became offically so it's understandable that you think like that. But anyways, is there any other question left?" Juyeon said with a sly smile. "Yeah, we can't wait to perform "I'm your boy", Hyunjae said sharing a tiny nod with Juyeon.

"Well gentlemen," Jimmy said, fixing his tie. "It's been a pleasure. Thanks for chatting with us, Crescent !!!" Jimmy shook hands with the boyz, ruffling Hyunjun's boy as passed. The instrumental version of I'm your boy started off as they stood in position to perform the song.

"WOW. That went well except the last part," Changmin exclaimed as both of us nodded. "But what does he mean by seven?" I asked not knowing. "There used to be two more boys in the line-up but one left way before everything and the other one... no-one really knows." Haknyeon answered, biting his lower lip.

"Were they close with Hyunjae?" I asked after I saw his icy expression. "Yeah, really close from what I heard. The first one and him were inseparable. The other one was close with Juyeon, I think."

"Guys..I have to go. Chanhee needs help a the cafe." Changmin said looking from the phone. Both of us nodded, bidding goodbye to him.

***

On the train back to Songdo, I made the decision that I would tell Haknyeon about the lyrics but not Changmin yet, because I wanted to dig a little more before telling him. And this was the perfect time.