Chapter 27; His past/ Threatened

"There's something else I need to you. Something not even Ceo knows."

I dropped his hands. My brain was spinning, a mess of tangled threads, knotted like vines, and nothing made sense yet. I needed answers and all I got were more questions.

"My parents," continued Juyeon. "They didn't leave me much. They didn't have much, but Dad left me this one thing, after he was gone, a CD for some band he was in. It was him and three other guys.

Though, I had never met them or seen them play. I only know their names or they are written on the album sleeve: Harry, Jisung, Ki Joong, Chan. Underneath that, it says 'All songs written by Lee Ki joong'...and the rest is blank."

"When I was a bit older, I started listening to the album...and I liked it. I hated him for what he'd done but something about his music spoke to me. I listened to it every night."

Juyeon bent down and picked up a stone from the ground. He rubbed it with his finger.
"I was a quiet kid, but I was angry. When I was old enough, I started hanging out in the town, mostly with the foster kids and getting in trouble. Just roaming around, shoplifting, smashing things up."

"Then when I was around 12, this old lady started coming round the career home every Wednesday night. She used to read stories to the kids, and play piano," He smiled for a brief moment.

"and when I heard the sound, it remained me of my dad's album. I asked her to teach me, and she did, every week, just a few chords here and there. After that, I sat in every night, writing. I'd sit at the piano, writing music, sometimes I'd mix a few of Dad's lyrics in with my own. It was childish, but...I thought...I thought if I used his words in my songs, then-"

"He'd never really be gone." Juyeon tossed the stone over the cliff edge.
"Dumb, really."

I watched the stone rolled over, toward the water. "That doesn't sound dumb to me," I said.
"I suppose some people might say I was stealing, but those words were the only thing dad ever gave me. He owed them to me."

Juyeon's jaw shifted slowly from side to side. He turned back to me and shrugged.
"So... the point is, the words in my songs, some of them aren't mine." He looked at the notebook, still clutched in his hand, and passed it back to me.

"The lyrics in that book, they all come from this nineties band called Little Blue Boy."
As I was slipping the book back into my book, the name suddenly sank in. My eyes widened. "What did you say?"

"Little Blue Boy. That's what they were called." I put my hands on top of my head. I felt like laughing.
"Little...Blue Boy..." Juyeon tried to catch my attention.

"What? What is it?"
"My mum...She was a groupie?"
I knew exactly what both Changmin and Haknyeon would say at this moment.
Like mother, like daughter.

"What are you talking about?"
I looked out toward the horizon, shaking my head.
"I'm such an idiot." A confused smile on Juyeon's face.

"What do you mean?"
"I have this photo of my mom at home, wearing a Little Blue Boy shirt. She probably introduced them to my brother with those lyrics. She was just a really big fan, which even made her son dream of becoming a singer," I said.

Which let to his doom path, to be honest...
Was this why Dad kicked Yeo out of his house? Because both of them super obsessing over some rock band was just too...embarrassing?

"Hey," Juyeon said with a laugh. "At least they had some fans?" Then his smile faded. "At least my dad did something right."

A light rain was beginning to fall. I peered at my feet, remembering why I'd started this conversation in the first place, and decided I might as well come clean.