Chapter 22; One mystery solved

"So" I said, shifting in my seat.
"I was chatting with the boyz downstairs, and-"
"Oh, I wouldn't recommend that." Hyunjae cut in.

"Me neither," I said, and both of us laughed. "But the thing is...they said that what you told me about the managing team wanting new people to work isn't true."

"Ah.. right," Hyunjae peered at me, touching his palms together. "I figured out you would ask me eventually."

"I actually wanted to work with you. A few months ago, I got called from the head of Songdo, asking me if I was interested coming to the school festival and the new band. I couldn't go of course. But I decided to look at the pictures from the day and there I saw your photos."

He was staring straight at me now.

"They were amazing Yoona. Like,they were as good as some people who had been in the industry for long. I remembered you from the presentation in the assembly, how you wanted to make a career from it. I was amazed from your speech and how determined you were. So I figured, I can help you.

I can help you achieve your dreams. I can be there for you. And I didn't know whether you'd take me seriously, so I made up that story. Maybe I shouldn't have-"

"I'm glad you did," I interupted Hyunjae. He smiled at me in relief.
"Yeah. Me too."
"Only..." I dropped my hands on my knees.
"What?"

"Well..if it was your idea to bring me here," I continued. "It means I was right about your management team and staff. They just think I'm just a random groupie."

I laughed at myself in my head. A random groupie. I'm the one who's using the term now.

"No they don't. I told them why I wanted you to be here and believe me, they get it. Even if they gave you cold shoulders, just ignore them. You don't have to please every single one here. And you can't. It's the same for us too. We can't please every single fans.

But they know we work our butt off for them. You are amazing and talented. And you know yourself. Don't let the others change who you are."

We shared a few seconds of silent eye contact, and I thought about the strange sequence of events that led from Hyunjae inviting me on social media to sharing a heartwarming conversation with him on a empty balcony.

The high school senior in an idol group.
"Thank you," I said genuinely, wiping my tiny drops of tears. "I should keep these as my mottos."

Hyunjae giggled. "Don't mention it."
"I mean it. Thank you for everything. It's just... It's so nice of you." His perfect brown eyes met mine. "You didn't have to do all these."

"I'm glad I did."
"Here you are, Hyunjae!! We've been looking for you everywhere." A woman in a brown suit and navy cap appeared, standing near the entrance.
"We need you for the rehearsal."

Hyunjae looked at me for a brief second before he gathered his things, yelping "Yep, I'm coming."

"Where's Juyeon?"
"Still in the piano room, I guess."
"Great. We will grab him after your shoots. Let's go."

As she walked away, Hyunjae pointed his finger at me, "we'll do the pictures before the shoot starts!" I nodded as I watched him go.

As they disappeared through the hallways, I clutched my camera case and looked through the exit. There was a sign, almost invisible that read: "REHEARSAL STUDIOS: AUTHORIZED ACCESS ONLY."

I stood up. If I was going to confront Juyeon, now was the time.

***