Lonely House

Eating lunch alone brought back memories of my early life. When I had no one to talk to, no one to eat with, had no one. That day, even though I did make lunch, I could not eat it more than 2 spoons. I missed mom and dad, Rahul, Payal and even Shiksha terribly. I had half a mind to visit them but then imagining mom's scary face stopped me. Even doing the usual chores didn't take my mind off. For the first time ever, I desperately waited for Avishek to come home. I hated this quietness, this loneliness.

That evening Avishek came home quite early. I was in the kitchen, washing the dishes when I heard the main door open and close. I saw Avishek coming to the kitchen looking quite tired.

"You are early today" I said.

Normally, I wouldn't have asked, but I'd do anything to avoid the silence.

He looked up at me as if surprised and said, "Yeah, I am tired. Yesterday was too much. I am too old for this". He scowled at the water bottle on his hand at the last part.

I turned towards the sink to hide my smile.

"Do you want tea?" I ask.

"Yeah. I'll freshen up." He dragged himself upstairs.

Usually, when everyone was home, they'd sit at the living room, watching TV, while I'd be in the kitchen making dinner. But that day, as I served him tea, I was surprised to see him sitting at the dining table instead of going back to living room.

Was he missing everyone too?

"Did mom call you today?"

I jumped a little at his question. We never made small talk. What is happening?

"She called me this morning to say everything is fine." I answer him.

He hummed but didn't say anything.

Say something you idiot, my brain scolded.

I wracked my mind to say something. Anything!

"The house is nice." I say, "Rahul's, I mean."

Great, I can't even talk properly.

"Yeah, it's good for them. Their neighbors are nice too. My friend's parents live there. Mom and dad will have company." He mused sipping tea.

"That's good to hear." I reply lamely.

My God, had I always been this pathetic?

Rest of the evening went quietly, and as usual, we wished goodnight and slept without further conversation. 

I was going to lose my mind. Ever since, mom and dad left, I realized I'd forgotten what's it like to be alone. I was used to being on my own before marriage, then after I came in this house, getting love from this house, I'd forgotten about my early life. Now, mom and dad are gone, it's like I was right back in that house. After the day Avishek came home early, I thought we'd called truce, but no, I was wrong. He comes home even late now. I eat breakfast with him, don't eat lunch as I lose my appetite, and eat dinner when he comes home. I was sick of it. Only bright side was, I was losing weight. Weight had always been an issue for me. I was not starving myself to lose weight, no, I just couldn't bring myself to eat all alone during the day.

A month had passed and right when I thought I was finally losing it, Avishek announced that we are visiting mom and dad today. I could've visited them on my own before, but mom always denied.

"You and Avishek come together." She always said.

I couldn't stop smiling. Finally, I was going to meet them in person. It was Saturday, so we decided to go after breakfast. I couldn't stop smiling. I leapt out of the car before Avishek even properly stopped it. I saw mom at the door waiting for me. I ran towards her in full speed and we both almost fell due to the sudden impact.

"You plan on leaving my wife? She can't breathe." I heard dad from my left.

I was hugging mom so tight, she visibly had trouble breathing.

"Sorry mom", I said guiltily, pulling away from her.

She waved her hand as if to say never mind. I met dad, Rahul and Shiksha. God, I missed them so much.

I looked around the house. I was impressed, it looked so much better than the last time. Mom and dad looked happy, Shiksha was glowing, Rahul couldn't stop smiling. Everyone was happy I guess, with this new arrangement.

"You tired of his face yet?" Avishek asked dad nodding towards Rahul.

"Dad!" Rahul groaned.

Dad laughed and said, "I've lived with you more then with him. I am not tired of you; how can I be tired of him?"

Avishek laughed and was about to say something when the doorbell cut him off.

Shiksha went to open the door and came back with Payal and Anil.

"Surprise!" the brat yelled.

"You didn't tell me you were coming too" I frowned. We talked almost every day, and she didn't tell me.

"It was a surprise mom. It was Rahul's idea." She says walking around to meet everyone and finally settling beside Avishek.

"You have lost weight mom" Shiksha said suddenly.

Suddenly, everyone's eyes were on me and it was uncomfortable as hell.

"Uh, a bit" I shrugged not wanting to make a big deal out of it.

"No, its been a month since we saw you, you have lost lot of weight. Is everything alright? Are you not eating properly?" Mom asks with concern.

"It's nothing mom. Everything is all right." I smile at her.

She narrows her eyes at me but lets it go.

It was a really nice day. All of us together again, we ate, we laughed, some cried, (ahem, Payal, ahem). I never wanted this to end. I wanted to live here forever. But unfortunately, clock stroke 6 and we decided we needed to head out. Payal and Anil had already left few hours earlier. Just as we were about to leave, mom pulled me aside.

"Tell me what's wrong? Is everything okay between you and Avi?"

"Oh my God, mom, everything is alright. I just don't have much appetite without you guys there. That's it." I said exasperated.

"Please don't skip meals. We are right here. I worry about you." She says.

"Yes mom. Now please don't worry. Take care okay." I hug her and leave the house. 

That's it for today. If you liked the chapter, don't forget to vote and leave a comment.