Unexpected Surprise (Avishek's POV)

I was just about to leave the office when my assistant led Ruchika and Seema inside my cabin.

"Surprise" Ruchika grinned.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked in surprise.

"We finished our shopping and this one here was anxious to get home because "he would be home soon"" she quoted and nodded towards Seema.

"I didn't say that." she glared at Ru and added, "I just said, it was late."

She laughed at Seema and looked around.

"So, this is where you work", she walked to sit on the sofa, "you know how much of pleading I had to do to bring her here." She pointed to Seema.

She narrowed her eyes to Ru and said, "I didn't want to disturb you" without looking at me.

What is happening? These two, almost looked like, they're friends. For sure, they were not this comfortable with each other till yesterday.

"Your wife is really stubborn, you know" Ru shook her head at me, "and shy too."

Seema looked like she wanted to hit her.

I smiled. I don't know what happened, but I was surprised at the feeling of happiness I felt, seeing these two getting along.

"And you're here because you wanted to see my office?" I asked.

"Well, no. We're here because she said your office was near to where we were shopping and since it's almost time to go home, I thought we could all go home together." Ru said.

"You guys are just in time. I was about to leave." I said picking up my bag. "Let's go then."

We walked out of my cabin and very few employees were there. We met Vikram along the way.

"Ruchika?" Vikram exclaimed.

He was such an actor. He knew she was living with us.

"Vikram?" Ru yelled.

Those two hugged like they were best friends who met after a long time. I suppose they were close. Vikram was my friend, and when I started dating Ru, they got along well.

"Oh my God, you have changed so much." Ru said looking at him.

"I know. I have gotten even more handsome right?" he said moving his eyebrows.

"You still have the same ego, I see" she crossed her arms.

"And you still are very forward." Vikram refuted.

He glanced behind Ru to see Seema and looked at me in surprise. I know dude, I was equally surprised as well.

"Seema, hi, how are you?" he greeted her.

"I'm good. How are you? How are the kids?" she smiled at him.

Even though she has never hung out with us, she knew his wife and kids.

And whose fault is that? my subconscious poked at me.

"They're good." He smiled back. "Did you guys go shopping?" he asked looking at the bags on their hand.

"Yes, I needed few things" Ru said linking arms with Seema.

Okay, what the hell was happening. Vikram's jaw dropped. I'm sure I looked like him at the moment.

"Hey, why don't we eat out tonight? We both are tired from shopping." Ru suggested looking at all of us.

"No, no, it's fine. I can make dinner." Seema said.

"Come on. We are not young anymore. We walked so much today. I know you're tired. I saw you massaging you shoulder 4 times." Ru dared her to refuse.

Seema was about to answer her when I cut in, "Sure, let's eat out tonight. You want to call Nilam?" I asked Vikram. She was his wife.

"No, she went to her parent's house yesterday. She won't come back till next week."

Ru dragged Seema and we both walked behind them.

"Dude, what is happening? Your wife and your ex are getting along." Vikram whispered to me.

"I know man. And stop calling her my ex. We were friends before anything happened. And it was a long time ago." I whispered back to him.

He opened his mouth to say something but shut up when I gave him a look.

When Ru first lived with us, it felt strange. She was the only woman I'd loved my entire life. When I missed her, I thought I missed her as my girlfriend, but the more time she spent with us, I realized, I'd missed her as my best friend. Someway along the way, I had stopped thinking about her as my girlfriend. Somewhere along the way, I had stopped wanting her back. Somewhere along the way, I had stopped thinking about my past. 

I know, I know, I literally just uploaded a new chapter few minutes ago, but I was reading through all of yours comments and I couldn't help but post a new chapter again. It's a bit short though.

That's it for today, for real. How do you like it?

Please vote and leave a comment if you liked it.