Birthday Party

"SURPRISE!!!" I lost my footing trying to move back at the surprise and collided against Avishek.

I willed my racing heart to calm down and saw all of our family in front of me, hands in the air, frozen at the "surprise" word, big happy smile on their faces.

 I looked back to Avishek.

"Surprise" he said softly.

Before I could say anything, I was hugged and passed around to all the people present in the room, receiving their wishes and too overwhelmed to say anything. I finally reached mom at last and surprised to see her teary eyes.

"Why are you crying?" I asked, holding her hand.

"You look beautiful" she said in answer to my question.

"You are crying because I look beautiful?" I asked.

She just shook her head and hugged me for a long time.

"I am happy things are finally okay" she said, and she didn't have to elaborate for me to know what she was talking about.

"Me too" I replied honestly and hugged her.

"Are you two going to hug all night?" I heard dad's voice booming from the other side of the room.

I released mom and saw everyone gathered around the cake waiting for me.

I walked towards them, picked up the knife and stood in embarrassment as they sang the birthday song.

Of course, my birthday was celebrated every year, but not like this, not with Avishek beside me, not like his secret smiled aimed at me. This year, things were different, things were new, they were good.

I blew out the candles, and cut the cake. Kids started on the cake, and I just stood on the side waiting for the overwhelming feeling to pass. Avishek stood beside me, watching the family and waiting for me. I wanted to hold his hand but was embarrassed to do so in front of the family.

"You okay?" I heard him ask.

"Yes" I replied. I looked up to see his smile and the feeling of wanting to kiss him hit me out of nowhere.

Jesus!! What was wrong with me? I had suddenly turned into a 20-year-old.

I shook my head to clear out the thoughts.

"Mom, come on. Its present time" Payal said, dragging me to the couch.

I opened all their gifts one by one, laughing at how they ribbed each other for the silly gift and the other one boasting about how thoughtful their gift was.

"Dad, where is your gift?" Shiksha asked when all of them had finished giving me their presents.

"It's a surprise" he said.

"Oh, come on, tell us" Payal whined.

"No, it's a surprise" he said, winking at me.

Honestly, I didn't mind if he had nothing for me. He gave me such a beautiful day today. He took me out for my first date ever. He planned my birthday party. I didn't want anything else.

After that, all of them spread out, mingling, eating the takeaway food they had ordered beforehand. I just sat on the sofa, watching Vishal and Neelam bickering about whose present was the best when I felt someone beside me.

I turned to see mom sitting beside me, taking my hand in hers. I missed this. I honestly missed spending time with mom.

"Are you happy" she asked suddenly.