Meeting Mr. Malfoy

Rose's POV

Before dawn the next morning I was ready to go to the manor. I was told to only pack along myself and the clothes I had on my body, they'd take care of the rest. I had a green, pink, and white striped sweater on with light washed jeans and grey wedge boots. I was waiting by our established meeting spot, trying to be positive. 

It's a new experience, I tried to tell myself. But I wasn't very convincing, I was targeted by the daughter of Voldemort and couldn't see my family. Scorpius arrived at the spot about half an hour after I did, and Mr Malfoy came soon after. 

"Hello Rose, I'm Draco Malfoy." He extended his hand and I shook it. He was tall, with neat hair and a wide smile. "Thank you for letting me stay." I kept eye contact and fake smiled whenever it was necessary. 

We went to their car and I sat down in the back. Scorpius took the seat next to mine and Mr Malfoy took the front seat. 

"So, how are you?" Scorpius asked.

"I'm fine, thank you." I was trying to be polite, although I didn't want to talk. 

"That's awesome." 

I paused. Who uses the word awesome like this?

"Er, I mean... good."

"How are you?" 

"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious."

I knew the muggle pop culture reference, but why was he using it like this?

"Um... okay."

"So, what's funky?"

I looked at him. "What?"

"I mean, what stuff do you like to do?"

I felt my face get hot. "Um.. I like writing."

"That's groovy."

Who uses the word 'groovy' anymore? I thought to myself. This is just painful...

"Um, Rose, have you ever had carrot pudding?" Mr Malfoy said. 

"Yes, it's really good." I was very thankful that he had changed the subject. 

"Well, our house elf, Sinestra, makes a mean carrot pudding."

"You have a house elf?" I asked. 

"Yes, she insists on not getting paid. We were quite willing to, but Sinestra is very old fashioned. And she chastens people when they need to be chastened. Sinestra is assigned mostly to your room, so she will be doing your baths and things."

Wait, I'm not a baby! I haven't had an assisted bath since I was a year old! And that was from my mum!

"I know what you're thinking, but believe me, Sinestra gives very relaxing baths." 

"Okay. Thank you." I said. I was really quite nervous that he wouldn't like me. 

When we arrived at the manor, Scorpius opened the door for me and Mr Malfoy showed me my room. 

It was twice the size of my regular bedroom, with large drapes, a mirror desk, a double bed, and a huge bathroom. On one of the walls there was a window with a wonderful view of the mountains and a balcony. 

I went over to the window and looked out, wondering what my family was doing

I went over to the window and looked out, wondering what my family was doing. The snowball fight? Eating dinner? 

I stepped out onto the balcony and just closed my eyes, letting the wind blow in my face. This would be okay, wouldn't it?

Wouldn't it?