Duet

Rose's POV

"Okay, so you're telling me that your family pranks each other!?"

I nodded. "Yes, it's rare that we don't have a prank war at least once a year."

Scorpius and I were chatting in the front room about our lives growing up, and I had to say that we... contrasted. 

"How I grew up? It was fun, I spent most of it with my cousins on my dad's side. One of my fondest memories is helping Roxie and Fred rappel off the top of the staircase to steal cookie dough. Grandma caught us, I was about seven at the time."

"Well, my mum wouldn't leave the house too much... She was so weak that she couldn't take it. We had a lot of fun here at home, though. She taught me how to play the piano, among other things. She loved music, and every time I hear piano I think of her."

I paused. "You play piano too?" he looked up. "Yes, I love it." 

I walked over to the grand piano that they had. "Care to join me in a duet, Mister Malfoy?" I said in a posh voice. 

"I would love nothing more, miss Granger Weasley." We both sat on the bench, and looked through the music that was there. We soon found a piece that we both liked, so we started playing. 

It was beautiful and felt so natural. We could play as if we were one. As my fingers went over the keys, his did it too, working together we created harmonious chords and beautiful melodies. 

After we were finished, he looked at me. "That was..."

I nodded. "Nice."

"I'm just wondering... are you a singer?"

I looked at the ground. The truth is, I had been told I had a beautiful voice, but I thought I didn't sound good. 

"Well... define 'singer'. I can sing, but not very well."

He laughed. "Well, I'd like to hear you."

He looked so cute with his wide steel grey eyes and large smile, I sighed. "Okay, I'll do it."

There was only one song I could think of. 

"There's something sweet, and almost kind. But he was mean and he was coarse and unrefined. But now he's dear, and so unsure. I wonder why I didn't see it there before."

"I don't think you have a bad voice. In fact, I think it's beautiful." My heart fluttered. 

He thought for a second. "So, you've seen Beauty and the Beast, I'd presume?" 

I nodded. "Yes, it's one of my favourite movies!"

"Well... do you want to..."

I looked at him. 

"Sing 'Beauty and the Beast? The duet song?"

He wanted to sing with me?! My heart was beating so fast that I thought it would jump out of my chest. 

I nodded and started singing. 

There's something sweet, and almost kind. But he was mean and he was coarse and unrefined, but now he's dear. And so, unsure. I wonder why I did't see it there before."

"She glanced this way. I thought I saw. And when we touched she didn't shudder at my paw. No it can't be. I'll just ignore. But then she's never looked at me that way before."

"New, and a bit alarming. Who had ever thought that this could be? True, that he's no prince charming. But there's something in him that I simply didn't see!"

We sang the next part together. "Well who'd have thought , well bless my soul, well who'd have known, well who indeed, and that the guests would come together on their own, it's so peculiar

We'll wait and see. A few days more. There may be something there that wasn't there before"

I looked into his eyes. "There may be something there that wasn't there before."