Her blood

Yongsun'send of year assignment is to capture a human. Too smug with her own success she is told to keep it alive in a castle full of vampires. The hardest part of her week isn't defending her prize from her classmates, but defending herself against the charms of a girl she was hoping to eat.

Night 1

Yongsun smiled with malicious delight at her prize. She had completed her assignment in record time. Captured an innocent alive human, brought it back to the castle and not been seen by anyone but her examiners. It lay unconscious in an armchair, hidden from the rest of the class.

"Well done" Magister Taeyang's voice echoed around the room, reverbing from the stone walls, to the high arched ceiling and back. She bowed her head, receiving the praise she had earned.

"No doubt you are pleased with your work" he said

"Yes, Magister" The skin around his mouth grew tight and she realised that had not been the right answer.

"Yes indeed" his voice trickled down her back like ice water.

She re-ran the evening in her head. She had been fast but not rushed. She was thorough but confidently so, not second-guessing herself. She was in the top of her class in agility, combat and magic which had been the three things she needed. She had excelled.

"The second half of your assignment will not be so easy"

Her nose twitched as she thought that the first half hadn't been 'easy'. She managed to pass it off as an itch before she was punished for being insolent enough to question a Magister. Her back was rigid and her orange eyes downcast in respect. Herrick waited for a moment, then waved his hand and a scroll appeared on the desk.

"Read and sign, or abdicate this class"

She stepped up to the paper and read. It was a contract. As she scanned the script she realised it was a blood contract and her insides turned to stone.

"Read and sign" he repeated slowly, letting the enjoyment of her discomfort out in his tone "or abdicate this class"

She was a top student, academically gifted and generally tenacious but this challenge scared her. She picked up a quill and signed her name, her fingertips burning as she did. She dropped it and looked at the pale white arm hanging over the side of the chair.

"This will be the true test" Herrick said before dismissing the class. She stood at the front of the room unmoving, waiting for everyone to leave, some by walking and some by magic. She turned to the dark room and scanned the shadows.

"Oborio" she said, concentrating hard on the darkest corners.

"Obscuro" someone whispered quietly, or perhaps they just thought it too hard. In a split second she had thrown out a hand, clutched the air and dragged whatever it was out of the shadows. Her fingernails dug into her own palm as she squeezed. A boy fell choking into view.

"ynggss" he coughed and she let go.

"Get. Out" she threatened.

He clutched his throat as he went "fuck you"

She threw her hand out at the door and it slammed closed, missing him by a hair's breadth.

She listened. There was no one else in the room. She breathed out and let her shoulders slump. "Fuck" she turned to the desk but the contract was gone. She nudged the chair. The innocent didn't move. She stood by it. It seemed to be sleeping. She could see the vein in its neck throbbing with fresh blood moving around its body. She swallowed the saliva that filled her mouth at the thought.