Mother Hyejin 5

Aside from Moonbyul's incident, the rest of the party goes smoothly.

Eunwoo is tentative with the new kids around him at first, timid in a way Yongsun's never seen before. Fortunately, he loses some of that timidity halfway through, and soon enough he's chatting with some of the other kids his age.

Yongsun may have underestimated the amount of people that would show up to this thing. When it comes down to the cake, she doesn't think a half sheet can feed the fifteen over-excited kids who want to touch and slobber over everything .

Yongsun is so unprepared.

"Wait, wait," Hyuna cuts in before Eunwoo can so much as breathe on the candles. "Family picture time!"

" Hyuna . Now's not the time," Hyejin hisses.

Yongsun's attempt to step out of the frame is foiled when Hyuna flips her phone out like a pro and shoves her straight into Hyejin.

Yongsun panics. "Wait. I'm not -"

"Say ' rawr', " Hyuna sing-songs.

"Rawr," Eunwoo chirps out happily.

Yongsun feels her eye twitch. The flash is blinding and Yongsun is still blinking spots out of her eyes as Eunwoo finally blows out his candles.

"There," Hyuna says and brandishes her phone in Yongsun's face. "Very suave, yes?"

Hyuna's face takes up half the picture, but behind her Eunwoo is beaming up at the camera. Hyejin has one eyebrow raised and could not look more unimpressed. And Yongsun is about as out of place as Hyuna's bright red hair.

"I'm not family," Yongsun mutters when Hyuna returns to typing passionately into her phone.

"Yet," is all Hyuna says, and then tags her on Facebook.

By five, the last of the guests begin to clear out of the house. Yongsun could not be happier.

The place is trashed, down to the guest bathroom where little cake-smeared handprints cover up the walls. She needs to disinfect every inch of the place. Not to mention she owes Moonbyul an extra twenty dollars because being assaulted by ruthless elementary school children was not part of the job description.

Yongsun is exhausted, physically and mentally, but it's all worth it to see the kid's face light up at every opportunity.

" Woah . Mom, look! Aunt Hyuna got me a Wii," Eunwoo declares, tearing through his assortment of gifts with the speed of a kid who's obviously spoiled every year.

He holds up a game. "And Mario Kart."

Hyejin pinches the bridge of her nose and mutters, "I'm going to kill her."

"Bet I can kick your butt in a game of Mario Kart," Yongsun says.

Eunwoo grins. "You're on!"

He doesn't immediately go for the Wii, but rather the keyboard Yongsun had gotten him. He's taken a special liking to that gift.

Hyejin passes by her, touches her shoulder. "Would you like a cup of coffee?"

Yongsun blinks in surprise. "Oh. Sure."

"You look like you need it."

She does.

Watching Hyejin roam through the kitchen like she knows the place is strangely pleasing, mostly because it's Yongsun's kitchen. And Yongsun's coffee maker that she forgot existed. With her early morning classes, she usually grabs a cup on the go. But this she could definitely get used to.