"Baby, I dont care"

Yongsun has gone to four different flower stalls, all of which are out of flowers, even their meager selection by now. The one shop that is open caters to filthy rich civilians. She can't justify giving that much money to anyone, much less Hwasa's(Beautiful) Flowers' most staunch competitor. A surprise evening isn't worth putting that expression on Yongsun's face when she inevitably finds out.

Even if every other part of the dinner is perfect. The food, the wine, the timing- all suspiciously impeccable. It's literally. Only. The flowers.

And she can't get them from Hwasa's Flowers.

She's not about to ruin it now.

She's also not about to let this one piece be out of place for her masterfully executed plan.

Yongsun growls hard, grinding her teeth.

Yongsun's knuckles, already itching with the urge to punch all her problems, demanding to be cracked.

She must look particularly annoyed.

It all comes down to the flowers!

How can she not have flowers!? It's Hyejin and it's their anniversary.She'd split every single hair planning this.

For now, though-

"What am I going to do!?" She demanded of the orange sky.

She needed flowers.

It was getting late.

Yongsun chewed on her thumbnail, anxious, as she climbed the steps to her large apartment.

She shut the door behind her, trying not to hear the thunk as a portent of defeat floats over her.

Wracking her brain, Yongsun tried to think. Flowers, flowers...

Eyes closed tight, she fixed her breathing, went into the calm of battle. She had a mission.

Flowers: where?

Immediately,Hyejin's smiling face filled her mindscape, a thousand memories of a little bell jingling and bright grins. Her wife leaning over the counter, chest pressed comically to the glass, feet lifted behind her.

Sparkling eyes, a face so achingly pretty it almost- almost- distracted her from the beautiful soul underneath, the devastating looks, only a front for the kindest and most amazing person Yongsun has ever met.

A myriad of colors and scents, all sweet and familiar and safe. Hyejin is like the watercolor centerpiece, a hundred different smiles and laughs and unexpectedly cute snorts superimposed over each other in a cacophony of joy.

All the stress rocked out of her shoulders, slowly untensing. Her life was bloody and intense, hands fit for violence no matter how you cut it- either clenched into fists or wrist-deep in a life-threatening wound, bullying a heart into beating- and yet at her center was a core of peace, carved into her with years of teasing words and struggle and love despite conflict.

She let the disappointment flow away. Hyejin would be happy with her anniversary plans. They'd laugh at how much effort Yongsun put into it; they'd eat; and they'd break their record for most amazing night alive, as they did every night they were together.

"I don't have time to do anything about it, anyway." She admitted to the blacks of her eyelids, hearing the unmistakable whisper of feet up the stairs. Like Hell she'd have let her wife come home to an empty house on the fifth anniversary of their wedding night!

______________________________________

And as the doorknob jingles, Hyejin can't help but smile, helplessly fond.

The door opens.

Hyejin walks in, flawless red lips already open on a greeting, but she stops. Yongsun blinks, staring at pearly white teeth dropped open in shock. And then the rest of the room registers.

Hyejin drops the bouquet of roses she'd been carrying- because of course she had picked up flowers on her way home; of course, she's perfect-

It lands on a sage carpet, previously beige. The roses thump softly against a sea of other flowers; all of Hyejin's favorites and then some, all the varieties Yongsun learned over the years and more. They crawl up the walls in draped vines. They stretch up Yongsun's legs and blossom.

Roses in every color bloom into existence between them, a rainbow path built on impossibilities.

Even through the surprise, peace sings through Yongsun's bones. The nearest flowers sigh open and closed like butterfly wings, like breathing.

"Um. Surprise?" She tries, stunned that her dry mouth makes words.

Hyejin stares at her for a long, dumbfounded second. Then she throws her head back and laughs, loud and boisterous and uncaring who sees. Yongsun's heart pounds, eyes wide and enthralled. Tiny lilac flowers she doesn't recognize stretch shyly onto Hyejin's bare arms, contrasting with the sleeveless black shirt she wears.

Hyejin looks at them and Yongsun can't read her face, but that's okay, because soon it changes to wonder and then three bold steps and arms wrapped around her, the little purple flowers suddenly near her chin.

"My family is going to make so much money from this." Hyejin asserts smugly, smelling like jasmine.

"Our family," Yongsun corrects automatically, her own hands coming up to rest familiar on Hyejin's hips. She shivers. "I've got your favorite foods in the kitchen."

"I don't care," Hyejin smiles.

"And your favorite wine."

"Baby?" Soft hands push blonde hair back from her forehead, dislodging petals as they go. "I don't care."

"Oh." Yongsun tries to realize, but Hyejin is kissing her, and then she's lifting her wife by the hips because she's light as a feather, and. Well.

Later, she'll laugh about this.

And even her hard-to-please family will admit that nothing could ever beat making love to an Ahn on a bed of constantly-blooming flowers.

Best anniversary ever