Escape room

The radio, that's the only sound that's filled this car for the last 3 hours. 10 years of marriage and my wife won't even speak to me when we're a foot apart. In her defense Hyejin has been in and out of sleep for the past couple of hours, but it's not just tonight, our marriage hasn't been the same since that night. The night we lost our son Eunwoo.

"Where are we?" Hyejin mumbles.

I look at the desolate road ahead of me and tiredly rub at my face. "Road closures. I had to take a different route."

"To where?" She frowns.

"Don't worry, it shouldn't add more than an hour to our journey." I tell her rubbing at my eyes again.

"You want me to drive?" Hyejin asks. "Last thing I want is to end up in a ditch."

"No. You can get some more rest if you want, it's been a long few days." This weekend was my parents anniversary party and Hyejin decided we should drive up to Ongsan for it. Usually we avoid social engagements, but I don't think she really wanted any of my family to know we've been having problems, my mother can be a tad dramatic and she'd lose her mind to know that we were heading towards separation.

Hyejin scoffs before taking out an apple from her bag and begins to cut off slices. "I'd rather not. I was having a bad dream before."

"What about?" I ask. This is the most she's spoken to me all weekend, I'll keep it going for as long as I can.

Hyejin turns to me and raises a brow. "You were trying to kill me."

"Oh."

"We were at you parents and you decided you'd had enough of everything, then proceeded to strangle me." She says before popping an apple slice into her mouth.

"Huh...well at least you were dreaming about me." I grin.

"Yeah it was a real...shit." Hyejin hisses when we hit a pothole, causing her to slice her finger open.

"You okay?"

"Mhm." She nods sucking the blood from her finger.

"You know you can buy packets pre-cut." I tell her while looking down at her now bloody apple. "Would save you almost cutting your finger off."

"I prefer it fresh." Hyejin huffs and places the ruined apple on the dashboard.

I look out to the open road and remember the last time I was on a road trip this long. "Hey, you remember when Eunwoo..."

"I'm tired Yongsun." Hyejin says cutting me off.

"Okay then." I try the radio but all I get back is static. Now there's no choice but to fill the car with uncomfortable silence.

"Where the hell are we? There's no sighs anywhere."

"We should be here." I say pointing down towards the map I have opened on my lap.

"Jesus Christ." She groans. "Couldn't you have found a better way?"

"No, I decided to make this journey home as miserable as possible on purpose." I snap giving back some attitude. Hyejin shakes her head and looks out the window. "I'm sorry, I just thought it would be faster."

Hyejin shrugs. "Maybe we'll see a sign soon."

"I hope so." Although I love spending time with Hyejin, this isn't where I want to do it. We're tired and fed up, a perfect mixture for an argument. We sit in silence for a few minutes, the pair of us huffing and sighing. I try to think of something to say that might put her in a better mood but before I can a noise comes from under the car.