A Desperate Run

For a split second the world froze and everything moved like a snail. I say Derrek's and Jaylen's eyes widened. The crowd whirled into a wild panic. The cup of Vinum slid from my hand.

Then, like a thunderclap, everything was back to the way it was. Somehow both the mothers of us and Jaylen were there at the same time. Mother grabbed me and looked deep into my eyes.

"Ravine, I need you to take Derrek and run to the woods. Run, don't look back, don't try to fight, just run, run to the woods." She shook me slightly. "Ravine, do you understand? Don't let your brother be captured."

I nodded, my mouth setting a determined grim line. Mother kissed my forehead. "Good girl, I know you'll do well. Now go!"

Quickly I turned and grabbed Derrek's arm. For a moment I stopped in my mad rush and watched mother disappear into the crowd, heading for the entrance of the hall to defend her village and her family. Then I picked out one of the least crowded entrances and began running.

There was so much noise. Women shrieking, children crying, and men shouting. Derrek yelled something at me, but I couldn't hear him above the chaos.

We were crushed in the panicked press, but I tightened my grip around Derrek, even as it threatened to tear us apart. I was not letting my brother go. If it ripped my arm off, I wasn't letting him go.

Finally we reached one of the entrances. The hurry to get out had created a bottleneck. I looked frantically around, but it looked like we weren't getting out anytime soon.

Derrek tugged at me. "Ravine, this way!"

I hesitated. What for? But I relented and let him lead me through the crowd.

He led me to one of the large windows, which was open to allow for air to circulate. My eyes lit up. "Brilliant Derrek!" but I wasn't sure he heard me.

Quickly I heaved myself up. Balancing on the sill I reached out a hand for my brother, but he bypassed it and pulled himself up. I wanted to ask him what was wrong, but of course there was no time. Besides, I thought I already knew.

Together we jumped out the window and landed on our feet. I didn't hesitate. I grasped Derrek's hand and before he could protest I began running. Just like mother said.

"Wait Ravine!" he cried, digging in his heels. "Wait!"

"What?" I said, exasperated. "You heard what mother said, we've got to run to the woods!"

"If we do it this way, we'll be caught in no time," he reasoned. "We've got be more careful Ravine, we just can't go running."

I sighed, the panic of it all pressing against me. He was right, but I was so desperate to have him safe. "Alright, I'm sorry. I just want you safe Derrek."

He made a face but didn't argue.

From then on we ran more carefully, keeping to the shadows. For the most part it seemed that the fighting was over to our right, and away from us. The woods were just in sight, and the desire to to get to them I almost couldn't stand. But there was a flat open area between the last house and woods. Could we risk it?

The fighting seemed to be coming in this direction. We either had to go now or wait for another chance. I poked my head out the side of the building and looked around. Seemed fairly safe.

I turned back to Derrek. "I think we'll be alight if we hurry," I whispered.

He nodded. I tried to reach for his hand to grasp, but he pulled away. I shot him a frustrated glance but figured there was no time to argue.

I crouched to the ground and looked out again. Mentally I counted down. One, two, three...

I shot out into the open, Derrek hot on my heels. It's amazing what adrenaline can do for you. Up to that point I'd never ran so fast in my life!

We closed the gap between the forest and the buildings. Hope rose up in me. Maybe, just maybe, we were going to make it.

But it was not to be.

Suddenly a huge burly warrior jumped into our path. We slowed, eyeing him. He smirked. Two defenseless children. Perfect slaves, and easy to get too.

Despair filled me. I slowed to a walk, then stopped. We didn't have many choices. If I'd had a sword we would have had more of a chance, but without one... There was no chance we could out run him. Ravagers were known for their lethal speed. He might miss either one of us but he would get one of us.

That's it. If I could get the Ravager to chase me, Derrek could escape into the woods. I would save my brother.

I straightened my shoulders. The Ravager was eyeing us, carving figure 8's in the air with sword. He knew where we were trying to go. To him, this was just a cat and mouse game.

"Derrek," I whispered. "I'll distract him, you run to the woods."

Derrek's eyes widened. "Ravine he'll catch you, you know you can't outrun him!"

"He can only catch on of us," I replied.

Derrek shook his head fiercely. "No, I won't let you," he stated firmly. "Either we both get captured or we both escape."

I knew he wouldn't just leave me without a fight. "Please Derrek, I just want you safe," I pleaded. "Don't worry about me, I'll be alright."

"No."

I sighed and glanced at the Ravager. He was eyeing us now with less mirth, wondering what we were planning. I turned back to Derrek and played my trump card.

"Mother told me to keep you safe, to not let you get captured. It's what she would have wanted."

To my surprise Derrek didn't argue. His face dropped. "You're right." He squared his shoulders. "I'll miss you Ravine."

I didn't give him the chance to say anything more. I bolted ahead, as if I was trying to run to the woods and away from the Ravager. The Ravager's eyes latched onto me.