More Searching

We spent the next few days in a similar pattern:  Wake up, have breakfast, clean up tavern, search for Derrek, and then sleep. 

We scoured the city up on end and down the other.  Zo helped us as best she could, although I sensed she preferred to remain at the tavern with the Finnleys.  She had become fast friends with Sherria and the now recovered Mrs. Finnley seemed to enjoy having a younger woman around that she could dote on.  

We spent a total of ten days in Terreth.  On the tenth day I was scrubbing out mugs (I always seemed to get that job) when Redwar and Mr. Finnley came in.  

Redwar clapped his hands and said, "Everyone, gather round here, we need to talk."  

I put the mug I was washing down and tried my hands on a towel.  I had a feeling I knew what he wanted to talk about.

We pulled out chairs at a table and sat down.  Redwar was to my right, Valeria to my left, and Zo in front of me.  The Finnleys leaned against the bar beside us.  

"First of all, I would like to thank the Finnleys for being so gracious as to host us for these ten days we've been in Terreth.  You've been very generous, we thank you for your kindness."  

The rest of us echoed Redwar's appreciation.

"But we've been here ten days.  We've looked everywhere for Ravine's brother, and we have not found him."

I looked down at the table.  

"We've done everything we can, Ravine.  I think...  I think now it's time to move on from Terreth."  

I yanked my head up.  "But Redwar, what if he's still here?"  

"What if he's not here at all?" Countered Valeria.  

I looked down again.  

"There is no way to know for certain if Derrek is here or not, but we have considerably lowered the chances that he is.  I think we need to start searching the surrounding villages around Terreth."  

Redwar's plan was sensible.  I couldn't shake the nagging feeling that he was still here.  But on the other hand, there was really nothing else that could be done.  

I nodded slowly.  "Alright.  If you think that's what's best Redwar."  

"Redwar?"  Zo's voice was timid.  

"Yes, Zo?"  

"Do I have to go with you?"  

He leaned back slightly.  "No, not if you don't want to, but where would you stay?"  

"She could stay with us.  We need the extra help," piped up Mrs. Finnley.  

"Are you sure, Mrs. Finnley?  We do not want to impose."  

"Nonsense.  Zo is welcome to stay and work with us for as long as she likes."  Mr. Finnley dispelled the notion with a wave of his hand.  

"Well Zo, is that agreeable to you?"  

Zo's eyes were shining, she looked the happiest she'd been since we met her.  "It is agreeable." 

We finished up that day in Terreth, and the next day we left for a nearby village.  As we left the city I couldn't help but look back and wonder if I was leaving my brother.  

I yanked my eyes away from it, and looked ahead.  My jaw flexed and quivered.  

"Are you alright, Ravine?"  Asked Valeria.

I shook my head.  "No Valeria.  I will never be 'alright' again."  

Redwar looked back at me.  His eyes said,  "I understand.  I've been there too." 

In the distance I could see the small village we were coming up to.  It didn't look like much.  

Redwar stopped Ladine and turned to face us.  "This isn't a good place we're about to head into.  We have no money, but if we did, we'd bury it.  Pickpockets are everywhere.  Don't let your sword leave your side.  We'll sleep with the horses tonight, just to make sure they don't get stolen."  

I raised my eyebrows as Valeria said, "Sounds like a place that makes it's living off thievery."  

"It does.  Bandits often hole up here in the winter, spending all the money they stole in the summer.  They shouldn't be there right now, but you get the idea."

"You must be on your game, you must act like you wouldn't hesitate to run a man through.  Because that's the type of place this is."  

My eyes went rounder, if that was possible.  "I don't think Derrek would be in such a place."  

"If he didn't have much money, he might.  It's the cheapest place to stay.  And besides that Ravine, we can't afford to live one stone unturned."

I bit my lip.  "If you saw so."  

He leveled us with a serious gaze that stilled any mirth that might have previously existed.  "There might be men here who might... make advances towards women like yourself.  Stand firm, and stay together.  Don't depend on me, because you may not always have me."    

Now that chilled my blood.  

With that he turned around and lead us into the seedy dump of a town called Baradom.   

Baradom was small, with exactly one of everything.  One stable, one tavern, one marketplace that barely had anything in it.  As we rode in, I found myself hoping that we would find Derrek and at the same time wishing we wouldn't in this dump of a place.  

Outside the lone tavern in the place, a few men lounged, who looked at us with undisguised curiosity.  I noticed one eyeing our swords and laid a hand on mine.

We tied our horses up and went inside the tavern.  

I was immediately hit with the impression that this was the sleeziest place of all sleeziness.  It reeked strongly of beer and sweat.  Stains were everywhere on the worn and scuffed wood floor, light was filtered in through dirty windows.  The bartender was slouched against the bar and looked like he was half-drunk himself.  

Immediately I missed the Finnleys' friendly clean tavern.  

When we stepped in the whole room went quiet and everyone turned to stare at us.  

I stared back.  

Redwar scanned the room for a moment, letting his eyes land on each man in there.  What they saw was an intimidating stare, I saw an analyzing gaze who was quickly picking out strengths and weaknesses.  

He lead us to the bar and pinned the bartender with the same calculating gaze.  "Are you the owner of this establishment?"  

He shook his head.  "No."  

"Does the owner of this place also own the stables?"  

"Yep."  

"Alright, tell your boss we're holing up there for the night."  

Redwar turned and began to walk for the door.  

"You'll have to pay first," said the bartender in a bored tone.

Redwar just kept on walking.  Valeria and I exchanged a glance as we followed him.  This was not like Redwar.  

"Hey!"  The bartender became more alert.  "I said you have to pay first!"  

Redwar stopped, turned, and narrowed his eyes at him.  "I'll pay when I want to.  And if your boss has a problem with that, he can take it up with me himself."  And he began walking again.  We heard no more from the bartender.  

The whole room had been silent throughout this exchange, everyone had heard every word that was said.  My back prickled from the stars as we left.