Headed Out

The time I had long awaited over the last week or so was finally here.  We were starting out on our journey to Klada.  Simran had left a couple of days ago.  He had other messages to deliver on the way back to the capital, but would still arrive before us.  

The journey was a long one, at least for me.  I'd never traveled that long on horseback, or that far from my clan's land.  We were going to be crossing into several different clans' land, and I was interested to see just how different they were from us.

I woke up one last time to sneak out and see the sun from the Finnley tavern's roof.  The refugees mostly left, and as a treat, Valeria slept in a bed in another room.  Mrs. Finnley said we'd better enjoy the luxury while we could, before we hit the trail and slept on the ground again.  

I snuggled down in the covers and glared out the window.  I didn't want to leave, but did I also want to miss a sunrise?  

Never.  

Besides, if I didn't pry myself out of this bed now, what guarantee was there that I'd do it later?  

I closed my eyes, counted slowly to three, and ripped myself out from under the covers before I had a chance to second guess myself. 

Sneaking around was even easier now that all the refugees had gone and most of the rooms were empty.  They would be filled soon enough, however, especially with the Feasts of the LifeGiver coming up and people from the country migrating to town to celebrate.  

My throat closed at the thought.  It would be my first Feast celebrations since the raid, marking a year since I'd lost my parents and Derrek. 

Focus!  Just because there weren't many people in the tavern didn't mean that I shouldn't be careful.  I brushed -more like slammed- the dreary thoughts away and concentrated on where the creakiest spots in the wood were. 

I adjusted the light pack on my back.  It contained all that I currently owned in the world, besides my sword and dagger, and what I was wearing of course.  

We were traveling along a well used route, with many towns along the way, so we didn't need to take much food and thus were less encumbered.  Redwar insisted we carry enough water for at least a week though.  You could always hunt, he said, or fast for a little while if needed, but you couldn't go long without water.  

Redwar seemed to be tossing out useful pieces of information left and right now.  Where before, he'd been giving me the training that he gave all who he took under his wing, Valeria told me that now he was ramping it up.  

He wanted me to succeed, and thus was doing all that he could to prepare me for what I would face.  Maybe it was his way of trying to make up for the guilt of his past.

I hadn't asked him if he would be with me when I embarked on my final mission.  Valeria had already pledged her help to me, for which I would be forever grateful, and of course Derrek wouldn't stand to be left behind.  But Redwar had not said one way or the other.  And I wouldn't press him until it was time.  Even if he didn't, the service he was offering to me was enough.

I smiled at Axe as I adjusted the throatlatch on his bridle.  "Of course, you'll be coming with me, won't you," I murmured to him.  Redwar had been firm last night:  Axe was mine.  Redwar had always intended that Axe would be my horse.  But last night he'd made it official.

I glanced across the stable yard, taking in our traveling party and analyzing how close we were to leaving.  Valeria and Derrek were bridling their horses.  Redwar was adjusting the packs that were on the little donkey we were taking.  Why we'd decided to bring him, no one had told me.  It seemed to be a mystery.  

The donkey had come with Daxton's horse.  Obviously, Daxton couldn't ride all the way on Ladine with Redwar.  So, yesterday, he and Redwar had gone to searching for a suitable mount that was inexpensive without getting cheated. 

And when they'd come back, they'd brought a donkey along with them.  When I'd asked Redwar what in the world we needed a donkey for, he'd replied evasively.  "It will free us up so we don't have to carry as much in our packs."  

I'd accepted the explanation reluctantly and suspected there was something more to the story.  However, the little stinker was cute.  And friendly.  He'd already coaxed four carrots out of Valeria and I.  We'd named him Puddle, courtesy of Derrek who said his coloring was like a muddy puddle.  

Daxton's horse was a stockily built dark brown skewbald.  His name was Duskany, and while he wasn't specially trained like a typical Ravagerian mount, he was solid in his temperament.  Daxton seemed immensely satisfied, and at the same time grieved, to have a horse of his own.  

I gathered up my reins and led Axe out to a clear area.  Grabbing mane and making my reins just a bit shorter, I prepared to mount.

With two big steps, I propelled myself upward.  It took a lot more effort than I expected, and I just barely hooked my leg over Axe's side.  With a grunt I pulled myself over.  

"Ugh," I groaned.  "I can tell I haven't been riding as much."  

Valeria laughed.  "Me too.  I can't wait to be out of this city."  

I smiled over at her.  Our long stay had bothered Valeria more than any one of us.  She'd grown increasingly agitated and restless.  Being still, not roaming, was a hard thing for her.  

We were all mounted, with Redwar holding Puddle's rope.  He rode over the back door of the tavern, where the Finnleys' were gathered.  "We thank you very much for your gracious hosting," He said.  

Mr. Finnley nodded while Mrs. Finnley spoke.  "It's been a pleasure to have you.  Your work was always good and honest."  

Redwar dipped his head.  "Thank you.  If we ever come back to Terreth, this is the only place we'll want to stay.  Although," he said with a wink, "There may not be any rooms for us."  

Mr. Finnley laughed.  "There'll always be rooms for you," he assured us.  

Redwar smiled.  "Thank you again.  Good bye."  

"Good bye!"  The rest of us called out and the Finnleys' called back to us. 

And with that, we rode out of the Finnleys' stable yard into the unknown.

AN:  Why did I decide to add a donkey into this story?  Who knows, but he's cute.  Come on, who can't love a cute donkey?