Megidil's Plans

I perked up, expecting more information, but he didn't give it. Restraining a sigh, I scanned the empty hallway for the 10th time.

"Mayor Tale just wants them to challenge the leaders of the 'rebellion' to a fight. Winner gets their way with the mines..." Daxton's voice was flat, as if he was relaying street names.  

I ran my fingers along my dagger handle.  From what Mr. Lotcin and Daxton had said, it seemed to me that'd be a good option for the miners.  I didn't think Megidil and his men could stand against the angry miners with pick axes.  But Daxton made it sound like Megidil wasn't going along with it. 

"But Megidil doesn't want that...  Too risky."  Daxton snorted.  "Megidil's not skilled, but he's not a fool."  

Blinking every once in awhile, he listened further.  I counted up to ten blinks before he spoke again.

"Megidil wants to kidnap the leaders instead."  

My hand clenched on my dagger.

"Says it'll stop the miners' in their tracks.  They won't be able to do anything without them.  But Mayor Tale doesn't want too.  Thinks it's too unethical."

Maybe this Mayor wasn't as bad as I initially thought he was.  If he was against kidnapping, would he have truly starved the miners and their families?

Eight blinks later, Daxton spoke again.  "It sounds like Mayor Tale has had... dealings with Megidil.  Almost like Megidil is the one who is..."  He fells silent.

"Influencing him?"  I was entitled to ask one question, I figured.

He nodded.

I rolled my lips.  This also shed new light on the Mayor's character. 

Daxton shoved away from the floor.  "The Mayor's agreed.  They're going after Mr. Lotcin and whoever happens to be next to him during the assembly.  It's going to be a surprise attack."  

"Do you think they'd actually hurt him?" 

"The Mayor wouldn't.  Megidil would.  And right now, it's hard to tell who's leading this."  He lowered himself down to the floor again.  "Go find Redwar, and Mr. Lotcin, and tell them." 

I resented being ordered by Daxton, but I'd been following his lead through this.  And besides, he knew Megidil better than I did, so he was the best choice to stick with the bandit leader.

I wasn't sure where Redwar was going to be.  But I did know where the miners were coming from for the assembly, and that Mr. Lotcin would be in the midst of them.  Since it was him who was in danger, I figured he deserved to know about all of this first. 

I left the courthouse, went down the back alleys, and popped out at the town square next to the tavern.  Once I was away from the courthouse, I didn't worry so much about being seen.  As I rushed through the market in the direction of the mines, the vendors gave me odd looks, but I didn't care.

I went in the general direction of the mines, and when I was halfway through the miners' houses, I could hear the sounds of the miners coming.  Their footsteps echoed down the streets, and I knew they were probably just ahead of me-

A hand grabbed my arm and yanked me into a dark alley between two houses. I would have stabbed it with my dagger, but fortunately for the hand of the grabber, I recognized the grip of it and the shirt sleeve as Valeria's.  

I turned to her.  "You nearly got stabbed, you know." 

She shrugged.  "Nah, I would've been fine.  Now, what are you doing here?  Is Daxton with you?"  

"No, he's still with Megidil, back at the courthouse."  I explained to her all that Daxton had heard and told me. 

She gestured with her hand up the street, where we could hear the sound of the assembly's footsteps getting louder and louder.  "I haven't had the chance to tell Mr. Lotcin yet.  When I reached the mines, they were starting to leave and I couldn't find him.  So, I came up here so that I could stay free of the crowd and see if I can get to him." She shook her head.  "I was half-afraid I'd be trampled in that huge crowd of miners."  

When the assembly came around the corner, I understood her caution.  Most of the assembly was composed of men that were taller than both of us, with arm muscles that spoke of long hours in the mines, and pickaxes slung over their shoulders.  A few youths were also mixed in, looking like miniature versions of the miners.  Mr. Lotcin was in the lead. 

"I understand what you mean," I whispered to Valeria.  

"Do you think we really need to tell him?  With that crowd of miners around him, could Megidil even get close?"  

I sighed, then turned to her.  "What do you think Redwar would say?"  

She looked skyward.  "Okay, how will we do this?"  

I looked back at the crowd, which was coming closer by the moment.  "I guess...  We could just step out in front of them..."  

"I've no other ideas."  She shrugged, we looked at each other, took some deep breaths, and stepped out of our nice safe alley.

At first, no one seemed to notice, and I fought the feeling that we were fixing to be overrun.  But as more of the miners spotted us, the assembly slowed.  Mr. Lotcin held up his hand, and at that the wave of miners came to a halt.  

"You are Valeria and Ravine?"  He called out to us.

We nodded.  "We have a warning for you and others who lead this, Mr. Lotcin,"  Valeria spoke.

"Don't threaten us!"  One of the miners stepped forward with his pickaxe clenched in his hands.  He'd taken Valeria's statement the wrong way.  I took a step back and got ready to run.

"Hold,"  Mr. Lotcin commanded.  "Let's hear them out."  

"It is not a threat," Valeria hastily assured them.  "We are warning you of Mayor Tale's plans."  

"Mayor Tale has hired men, and they plan to try to kidnap you and those with you, Mr. Lotcin.  They're hoping to do so at the assembly."  

An angry rumble went through the crowd at this.  Mr. Lotcin eyed us.  "Are ya sure of this?  That's a pretty strong accusation to be makin'."  

I nodded.  "We're certain of it."  And if Daxton lied, I'll just hand him over to these miners.  

AN:  Honestly, these chapters are not what I want, but they're what I have for now.  I feel like...  Hmmm, I don't know, I just don't like them.  But they do keep the story moving and that's the goal!