Traveling to Ladris

We agreed to depart the next day, in the late morning. Our thief was to stay tied to the corral post, which he started to protest strenuously against but shut his trap at Redwar's glare.

I went to my pallet excited for the next day. For hope was welling in me, and not all of it was caused by the idea that I might help save my people from the lifelong enemy of Ravagers. For I knew there was a chance Derrek had fled to Ladris. It was the nearest city.

I knew that, with a city as big as Ladris, there wasn't a good chance I would find him. But I had to try, didn't I? He was my brother, and more than anything I wanted hear his teasing laugh that he taunted me with again.

I wanted to have another corn cob race with him, whether I won or lost. I wanted to rough and tumble with him the grass like we used to. I wanted to hug him so hard his ribs would break.

I'd been naive before, never thinking I'd be parted from him, from my family. My heart was aching so bad, worse than I ever thought it could. I cried myself to sleep that night.

The next morning I forced myself to get a hold on my nervous energy. I couldn't afford it. I couldn't afford to get my hopes all worked up, only to have them shatter on the floor. I'm a fairly fast learner, one time was enough for me.

But of course, buried deep down beneath layers of, "You won't find him today," feelings, was a little seed of hope that could bloom at any moment.

Little, but there.

After breakfast we ran through sword drills. Valeria proved to be a worth opponent. Redwar had us spar after our regular drills.

Blood flushed through my muscles as I engaged with her. She fought with a lot more finesse than the Ravagers. Like Redwar did. According to Redwar on the ways to get ahead in Ravagerian society was to be good with a blade.

He watched, calling out corrections. "Valeria, your feet are moving too much! What have I told you about becoming a solid wall?"

She steadied herself and the little advances I'd been making suddenly ceased. She began to advance more on me. I took Redwar's advice to her and used it to my own advantage.

"Good Ravine, you steadied yourself. But your guard's dropping a bit, make sure to raise it up."

And so it went on. We took a few breaks but both Valeria and I were enjoying it. On our last bout Redwar stepped back and just watched us.

She advanced, I countered, but she tried to use it against me. I countered again, then withdrew with my guard up. I quickly struck back. She parried, then kicked out.

I fell to the dirt with shock written on my face. I hadn't known we were allowed to use something other than blades. I wasn't allowed much time to think about it though.

Valeria sword swept in, intending to pin me down, but I blocked with fury and used my leg to push me backward, always keeping my eyes on Valeria.

Her strike came again as I was getting up and I parried again, but it put me off balance. Nearly tripping, I stumbled back and she advanced.

Unrelenting her sword followed me. With a growl I raised mine into its path and rocked my weight forward. Now I was still off balance, but pushing into her blade.

This rocked her backward and gave me some room to rebalance myself. I walked backward, side stepping the chopping block. I didn't wait for her.

As soon as I was secure again I rushed forward. Her blade blocked and went upward. I was going to counter when Redwar called out, "Stop!"

Reluctantly we lowered our swords and turned to Redwar. "What is it Redwar?" Valeria asked.

He had a slight smile on his face. "I think we'd better stop before you two kill each other."

Valeria and I glanced sheepishly at each other. We had been going at it a little hard.

"Besides, it's nearly time to leave," Redwar added with a glance at the thief tied to the post. He'd been watching our fight with interest, though he'd tried to cover it up.

Valeria looked up at the sun briefly. "You're right Redwar." She sheathed her blade and I did the same.

"Ravine, go pack provisions for five days, enough for all four of us," ordered Redwar.

I raised an eyebrow. "Five days? We'll be back by the end of tomorrow."

"Five days," he confirmed. "It's always good to carry extra."

"Should I pack clothes then as well?"

He thought for a moment. "Yes."

When I returned with satchels full and four canteens, Redwar had bridled all the horses, who were standing quietly. And Valeria had untied the thief from the post.

She tied off the knot on his hands. "There. That should keep you good." The thief scowled.

The thief trailed behind Valeria who had his rope. I don't believe anyone looked anymore sullen than he did. We kept a steady walking pace with which he could easily keep up with, but he resisted as much as he could.

Redwar kept a blank calm face, but every time the thief complained, or fell down so we had to stop, or something else, his left eyebrow twitched. I wouldn't have noticed except looking at the thief required me to glance towards Redwar. If that thief didn't quit it I wasn't sure how much longer Redwar would contain himself.

Frankly, I wanted to clobber the thief over the head and drape him over one of the horses.

Remarkably Redwar withheld his irritation all the way to Ladris. It was mid-afternoon when we reached the main road that headed into the city.

We weren't the only ones heading into the city. A farmer eyed the thief as we passed his wagon. "He a no good?" He asked.

Redwar nodded.

"Taking him to the authorities?"

"Yep."

"What he do?"

"Stole a horse."

"Worst kinda thief." The farmer spit in the thief's direction. "You caught him?"

"No. She did." Redwar gestured with his head at Valeria.

"That little pretty lass caught him?" The farmer eyed Valeria skeptically.

She shot him an annoyed look. "This 'pretty little lass' is apt to cut your throat if you don't stop running your mouth."

The farmer shut up then. Apparently he believed the 'pretty little lass' could cut his throat.

As we were about to enter the city Redwar had me hand him one of Axe's reins. "I'm confident in your abilities as a rider, but the crowds are thick and I don't want to take chances."

I still felt a little insulted but did as asked.

It turned out Redwar had a pretty good idea. The press of people and the lack of fresh air made me think about gagging. Ugh, it was disgusting. I vowed right then and there that I would never, ever, live in a city.

I took my chance to scan the crowds for Derrek. I didn't know what I'd do if I thought I saw him but I couldn't help myself. Several times I thought I'd spotted him, only to be proven wrong a few seconds later. I'd despaired of every finding him by the time we reached the courthouse.