More History

We sat there like that on the creek bank for I don't know how long. Redwar let silent tears track down his face at some times, and others stared across the creek. By the time he finally roused himself, the sun was starting to near the horizon.

"I'm sorry Ravine." He ran a hand through his hair. "I'm not usually like that when I tell people who I was."

I took my arm off his shoulders. "I understand." Brave expert swordsman crying in front of me was not something I was used to.

"Would you mind if I asked you some questions?" My voice was soft and tentative. I didn't want to hurt him anymore than I felt I already had.

"No. You have the right to know."

"Okay then. My first one would be, what do you mean by "I have the right to know?"

He snorted a little in amusement. "Because you one of the people I've hurt."

He saw my slightly confused face. "Not directly. Indirectly. By my silence."

That brought me to my next question. "Why were you silent? Why didn't you do as the Ravagers feared and tell us about the light-skinned Ravagers? Why?"

My voice had a hint of accusation in it. I softened it. "Sorry Redwar. I don't blame you directly. And I did forgive you. I just want to know why."

He nodded. "I know." He took a deep breath.

"There were several reasons. Most of them were selfish. After all I was raised in Ravager ways, and that wasn't easy to shake off at first. But enough excuses.

"My first reason would be that your people would not listen to me. A light-skinned, automatically considered either Bretorian or Thathian, telling them that Ravager spies were among them would be odd. And when they'd ask me, "How'd you get this information?" And I tell them it was because I was one of the people I was warning them about? That I used to be one of their greatest enemies?

"That'd be grounds for execution, never mind the warning. At least, that's what my reasoning was back then. I realize now that is was one possible outcome, but less likely than I made it out to be. Most likely your people would either dismiss me as crazy, while a few would be suspicious enough to investigate the matter."

"But I always heard that Ravagers never intermixed with their Thathian slaves," I broached the question that'd been bothering me.

He shook his head. "Oh Ravine. Why would you believe that?"

The reality in his eyes shook me.

He sighed. "When Ravagerian society began, it started with a group of discontented honorable men, and their families. In keeping with their honor and pride, they formed a pact agreeing never to intermix, and never to dilute their race.

"And for awhile, that was the way it was. We didn't intermix. Until some men broached the idea of how intermixing could be used to our benefit, but our race still kept pure.

"But enough of that."

He picked up a rock. "Another reason that I didn't tell your people when I first left was the not all of my allegiance had been broken from the Ravagers. I left, but I didn't break ties completely. That was a long, slow process."

He threw the rock across the creek. It landed with the typical addicting Plop! sound. "Like I said, most of my reasons were selfish."

He glanced at me. "But now, with you Ravine, we have a chance. They'll believe you. They know by now your village was raided. No doubt the alarm as been rung throughout the region."

I nodded. "No doubt. I have one more question."

"Ask it."

"What is the KanKlack?"

Redwar picked up another stone, and so did I. Mine was a odd triangle with one rough side and one smooth side.

"That... That is not easy to explain. Really, it is two things. First of all, it's a machine of pain and death. Thathians are often tortured there, for multiple reasons. You also heard me threaten those two Ravagers with it."

He chuckled. "Really, the rumors are greatly exaggerated. It's the place where Ravagers who have failed in important missions are sent for punishment. They're tortured for it. It's also the place where envious Ravagers send other Ravagers to 'get them out of the way' so to speak."

Then he sobered. "In truth Ravine, I cannot tell you all of what it is, because I myself don't know. Only elite, special Ravagers are chosen. And by special, I don't necessarily mean men of great accomplishment. After all, I was one of the greatest, and I was never picked."

We sat in silence for awhile before Redwar heaved himself up and dusted himself off. "Come. It is getting late and we must see if Valeria has come back."

I pulled myself up, still holding the rock in the my hand. I rubbed it on last time, and then threw it with all my might to the center of the creek, to be polished and shined for as long as the water tumbled over it.

I let out a "Oh!" as we entered the clearing, for Valeria was there, but she was not alone. In the corral tied to the fence was a dappled gray horse. And, looking very sullen, was a man tied to the corner post of the corral

Valeria stepped back from tying the knots. "Hello!" She called out, waving at us. "Where have you been?"

Redwar swung off of Ladine. "At the Serva creek."

"Ah," she replied, her eyes lit with understand. And it seemed that was the only explanation she needed.

"Well, while you two were gone, I caught this..." She bit her tongue at the last second from a more vulgar word. "Thief with Clover up south by Ladris." She patted his head in a condescending gesture. "The deluded man thought he could outmaneuver me."

Redwar snorted as I slid down from Axe. "Deluded man indeed."

"I never had a chance! She-" The thief protested but Redwar stepped forward menacing.

"Silence! She is more a man than you will ever be!" Redwar's voice cracked like a whip.

The thief recoiled and went silent.

Redwar recovered himself and asked Valeria calmly, "Will you take him to Ladris tomorrow and deliver him to the authorities?"

Valeria nodded. "Are you going with me?"

Redwar glanced at me. "We have to."