Remembering and Thanking

In the final hours before the Feast officially started, the town was a flurry of harried final preparations.  After my bath and a quick breakfast, I was recruited to help the women put the finishing touches on the food.  I ran around various houses, helping in whatever way was needed, from seasoning roasts to keeping babies from getting underfoot. 

It felt good to be involved with people that I had helped.  It was not my family, it was not my village, but it was good.  It was my rebellion against Corban, Megidil, and their kind to enjoy this day.

Still, Bound stayed strapped onto me.  Not just in case something should happen, but because it was a way from me to keep my parents in remembrance this day.  When the sheathed blade would brush my leg, it reminded me that I was still on a mission for my parents.  But this day, this celebration, was a part of that mission as well.

Finally, it was time.  In the mid afternoon, the town gathered together in the square.  It was pushed to its limits to contain all the people of the town, as well as farmers who had come in from the surrounding land.  Many chairs had been placed as thick as they could be squeezed in.  Mr. Lotcin and his brothers had insisted that Redwar and the rest of us have front row seats. 

The platform, which I had helped build, was where the commencement of the Feast began.  At precisely 3:30 that afternoon, everyone was in their places.

I myself was curious to see how the Feast was conducted here in Time's Tale.  This town had already proven to be unique, and seeing as how each town had different ways of celebrating the Feasts, I was curious about what it would be like.

Daxton, who sat between Redwar and Derrek, looked the most uncomfortable I'd ever seen him.  He was cleaned up nicely, with his unruly hair combed back, and actually didn't look too bad.  His clothes were ones I'd never seen him where before.  But the sour look on his face marred all of it.  Yet behind his mask of unwillingness, I detected a hint of unsureness in his eyes.  It suddenly occured to me that, as a Ravager, he'd probably never attended on of these Feast before, except maybe for spying purposes. 

Now these thoughts were making me uncomfortable.  I banished them with a firm shake of my chin.  No, we weren't going there today.  I'd gone there enough times already.

Bong!  Bong!  The tolling of the bells caused me to jump in my seat.  At their sound, the people rose to their feet as one, and I hurried to follow suit.  The bell tolled five more times as we stood solemnly.

As they did, Father Mullincay slowly made his way up the platform in front of us.  To his right was Mr. Lotcin, and to his left his brother, Joel.  I knew those positions were ordinally filled by the town Mayor and Sheriff, but thought that the two Lotcin brothers were a perfect fill in.

As the bells finished tolling, they faced the crowd.  Father Mullincay gestured with his hands for to remain standing, then he cleared his throat.

"Time's Tale, we gather here to celebrate the beginning of the Feast of Thanksgiving to the Life-Giver.  This year, we have much to be thankful for.  I will spare you a long speech and keep this commencement ceremony as short as possible, as I know we're all eager to devour the meal prepared for us!"  He said the last part with a wide smile and I chuckled with the crowd. 

He motioned for the two Lotcin brothers to step forward, then he stepped back behind them.  Joel held a book in his hands, and he opened it to a marked place in front of his brother.  Eager to hear the familiar words,  I leaned slightly forward.

To my surprise, Mr. Lotcin didn't just speak the words, he sang them.  He had a deep, rich and expressive voice that lent life to the well known words.