Sunrises and Stories

Redwar was exhausted after his ordeal, and so we had him take over Derrek's room for a well-earned nap.  

I spent the rest of the day helping out with the refugees, listening to their stories, and washing out mugs.  Again.  

All the time I wondered what Redwar's story would be.  The Mayor of Ladris, Carson Barclay, had been brought in, very shaken up but minimally wounded.  His wife, which he had married since we'd left his town, happened to be his secretary, as Valeria had predicted.  Valeria had been tickled pink about this.  

The tavern was stuffed to the rafters with all the refugees it could hold, but Mrs. Finnley wouldn't hear of kicking anyone out or refusing anyone else.  Thankfully, it appeared the rest of the refugees had found shelter elsewhere.  

At the end of the day, I was thoroughly tired of people.  As I'd stated before, I wasn't an introvert, but having lived in a spacious village and forest for most of my life,  I couldn't get used to this.  

After the sun had set, I escaped out the back door to the stables.  Axe had been growing fat on the Finnleys' hay and enjoying his long break.

As I stroked his bay coat, I realized I'd missed riding him.  Maybe I could take him out tomorrow on a ride. 

I scanned the darkened stables for Daxton.  I hadn't seen him all day, and no one else had either.  My eyes probably could have picked him out if I'd tried harder, but I was tired.  He'd come out when he was ready.  

As it turned out, that happened to be just a couple minutes later.  

When I looked up from grooming Axe, there he was, leaning against the stable wall.  I gave him a small, tired smile.  "Hey."  

He grunted in reply.  

I went back to grooming.  If he wanted to talk, he'd talk.  If he didn't, it would be wrong for me to pester him.  

"Did Redwar tell you...?"  

I shook my head.  "No.  He hasn't told us anything yet."  

He nodded and sank back against the wall, his eyes on the ground.  It looked like he was totally absorbed in thought, but I knew better.  He was aware of every movement made in the stable.  

After I finished brushing Axe, I started picking out pieces of straw from his tail.  No doubt he'd go back in the stall and lay down again, but it still bothered me that his tail was messy.  

Daxton didn't speak again the whole time I was there. 

As per usual, I slipped out onto the roof to watch the sunrise. When I'd asked Valeria the night before if she wanted to come, she'd pointedly laid a hand on her dagger and said, "Don't force me to use this." I took the hint and snuck out of the room by myself. Valeria was not a morning person.

The sun had just begun peeking over the horizon when Redwar came through the door. He, being broader, had to open the squeaky door just a little wider. Thus, I knew it had to be him.

He smiled at me, but we didn't speak as he sat down in front of the boxes beside me. The splendor that was in front of us shouldn't be marred with words. Together, we enjoyed this gift. 

It was only after the sun had risen fully and the sounds of the city had risen to life that Redwar spoke.  "I see Mrs. Finnley has been helping many of Ladris's refugees."  

I nodded.  "As soon as she knew there was a need.  The Finnleys' are a remarkable family."  

He chuckled a little.  "That they are."  We were silent again.