Ravager, or Thathian?

After the lunch rush, the tavern quieted down.  We cleaned it up a bit for the evening crowd, and then we were finally able to sit down for lunch and to talk things over.  

I dipped up a spoonful of meaty soup and restrained a moan of delight as it hit my tongue.  This tasted so much better than the food from the Baradom tavern.  And I actually knew that'd gone into it, because I'd help Sherria make it.  

"So, which one of these lads is your bother?"  Mr. Finnley asked me.  

I leaned over and tapped Derrek, who was busy shoveling the soup into his mouth.  "This one."   

Derrek looked up with a grin.  "Yep, I'm Derrek."  

"So who's this boy?"  Asked Mrs. Finnley, her eyes gazing intently at Daxton.  He glanced up, saw her looking at him, and ducked his head again.

"This is Daxton.   He helped us find Derrek,"  Redwar said as he tore off a hunk of bread.

"What did the doctor say about Simran?"  Valeria changed the subject tactfully. 

"He said that with a few days of rest and good care he should be alright.  So we'll probably leave for Klada in about five days."  

"He'll get the best care we can give him, you can be assured of that," said Mrs. Finnley stoutly.  She was already dipping up some of the soup to take up to Simran.  

"That, my good lady, I have no doubt of," Redwar replied.

"I can't believe we have a King's Messenger under our roof," said Zo with a giggle.  "Or that Ravine was summoned to Klada."  

"Join the group," I said as I reached for the bread.

"I'm going back to my home to check on my fields while Simran recovers."  Redwar's words caused me to yank my head up.  

"I've been away from them for a couple of weeks now, I need to check on them and the house.  I'll be able to make it to and from there in about five or six days."  

I was reluctant to let Redwar leave, but he was right.  "Alright."  

Redwar glanced over at Daxton.  "Daxton, do you want to come with me?"  

Daxton looked up, his brooding face broken by a flash of surprise before closing up again.  "I...  I guess so."  

Redwar nodded and looked to the rest of us.  "You can stay here for a few days and work for the Finnleys, if you're alright with that."  

I nodded.  I would miss Redwar, but to be honest, I was looking forward to sleeping a bed and not being on the run from or fighting against something.  

"It's settled then.  Daxton and I will leave tomorrow." 

Daxton, while he did do some work, was never inside the tavern during the evening rush.  I wondered if all the people made him feel crowded.  

While I cleaned glasses, I spotted Willy Wilson again.  Despite having been away for a few weeks, I still remembered him.  He was still as sophisticated as before, and was always stroking that mustache.  I noticed he stroked it slower when he was about to get a win, and faster when things weren't so certain.  

I also watched Zo, and noted how at home she was here.  She knew she was welcomed and needed.  She always had a half smile on her face as she served up ale and food, then whisked away the dirty dishes left behind.

It took awhile but slowly the tavern's boiling energy died down until it was mostly isolated pockets of men playing card and dice games.  Others had already gone home or up to their rooms.