Turmoil

Over dinner, it seemed only Valeria, Derrek, and I were truly happy.  We chattered and laughed, sharing stories about our lives with each other.  Several times Valeria and I tried to include Redwar, but it seemed he just wanted to watch us with that half smile and odd look in his eye. 

Nobody tried to engage with Daxton.  He'd dished up his portion of stew, (which was a special treat when traveling), and gone off by himself.  There he ate it with a broody look on his face.

Despite that, I was joyful.  My brother was alive, well, and with me.  That's what mattered right now.

Redwar said he would take the first watch, then me, and finally Valeria would have the last one.  Daxton was not included because none of us really trusted him.  Derrek didn't have the experience.  But he would eventually. 

My brother and I slept next to each other.  I had to share some blankets from my bed roll, but thankfully the night was not chilly.  And even if it had been, it wouldn't have mattered.

Derrek fell asleep before I did.  It almost seemed like I was too giddy to sleep.  I wanted to shout to the world, "I found my brother!"  

But eventually I drifted off.

"Ravine.  Ravine!"  

Something was shaking me.

I yanked myself up, nearly hitting whoever it was in the process.  My hand had half drawn Bound before I realized it was my brother who'd roused me. 

"What, are we under attack?"  I said a bit too loudly.  

"Shhh!"  Derrek shushed me.  "If I'd known you were going to be like this, I wouldn't have bothered waking you."  

I rolled my eyes.  "You learn to sleep light on the trail, Derrek.  Now what is it?"  I pushed Bound back into its sheath.  

He pointed across the clearing.  "Your friend Redwar just left down toward the creek."  His voice had an edge to it.  

My brow wrinkled, but for different reasons that Derrek's.  It was unlike Redwar to leave his post.  Granted, if he was just going to the creek, it wasn't really doing so but still... 

I pushed my blankets aside and reached for my boots.  "He might have heard something. I'll go see."  

Derrek grabbed my arm as he hissed.  "He's Ravager!"  

"You don't know that for sure," I countered, not liking the way he was always assuming the worst about Redwar.  "And what's that got to do with anything anyway?"  

"Oh I don't know, maybe he's just ratting us out to his pals, no big deal," he snarked back.  

"That is highly unlikely.  And besides, if he is," I replied sarcastically, "We should discover it before we get captured again."

I ripped my arm out of his grasp and pulled on of my boots on, being careful to be quiet so not to wake Valeria or Daxton.  

"I'm going with you."  

I didn't reply.  There was no use arguing.  It'd probably be awhile before we felt alright being separated without seeing each other.  

I buckled Bound around my waist as we glided through the camp and left it behind.  The trail to the creek went down over a mini hill, and rather than follow it, I stepped into the forest.  

When Derrek rustled a bush for the third time, I half-wondered if I should just leave him behind.  Apparently he had not been taught to move silently.  At least not as silently as me.  

Spying something ahead, I stopped suddenly.  I sensed he nearly ran into me but caught himself just in time.  I soundlessly pointed ahead.  

Redwar was standing on the bank of the creek, which was a stretch of land that was relatively flat.  He was in a fighting pose, but there was no one in front of him.  

Suddenly he sprang forward, letting out a growl while attacking the air in front of him with a combination of cuts and slices.  He moved smoothly and precisely, while at the same time maintaining his amazing speed.  

I heard Derrek breathe out, "That's...  That's amazing."  

I nodded, remembering the first time I'd seen Redwar with a sword.  He had made me see that a sword could be more than just an instrument of death.  

Redwar backed off for a moment, then let out another growl and charged for a moment.

"But there's no doubt now, Ravine.  Nobody could move that fast and not be at least part Ravager."  Derrek's voice had hardened with resolve.  

I didn't reply.  I didn't know how to. 

Derrek grabbed my shoulder and spun me to face him.  "Ravine!  Don't you get it?  He's our enemy, not our friend.  We're in danger!"  

My chest swelled with an emotion I couldn't identify.  I shook my head but before I could reply, we heard another sound.  

Redwar had slumped against  the hill that dipped down to the creek bank.  His free hand was over his face and his shoulders were shaking with what looked like sobs.  

I had always known Redwar battled with past demons.  Many times he took to the forest or some other private place and fought.  Fought with himself and his memories.  And to release all of that, he would fight the thin air with his blade.

But I'd never seen him do it before.  

It clicked into place.  That's why he'd had that odd look since he'd asked me 'if it was worth it.'  Something had agitated him.  

I pointed down to him and hissed to Derrek.  "Look.  Look at your Ravager.  For yes, you're right.  He is fully Ravagerian."  

I turned back and grabbed my brother's shoulders.  "But that is in blood only.  Only, Derrek!  This is not the first time he'll have to battle with his past.  It probably won't be the last."

"If you choose to condemn him for past wrongs, you condemn me, you, and all of Thathia."  

With that I grabbed him and pulled him out away from there.  This was Redwar's turmoil to deal with, privately.  

Derrek was silent as we made our way back to camp and laid down.  As we pulled the blankets back over ourselves, he whispered.  "I'm believe you.  About Redwar, I mean." 

AN:  Hmm, got a little bit more into Redwar's past here.  And Derrek finally believes that Redwar is not a threat.  Thanks for reading!